Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is the iPhone 6 more expensive than an iPad air 2?...  (Read 3887 times)

Gypsy_Joker

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • "Maths"- If it seems easy than your doing it wrong
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Why is the iPhone 6 more expensive than an iPad air 2?...
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:10:26 AM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Latest-Apple-iPad-Air-2-128GB-GOLD-Wi-Fi-4G-Cellular-Unlocked-NEW-SEALED-/281610299217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4191482751
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/APPLE-iPHONE-6-PLUS-128GB-SPACE-GREY-UNLOCKED-BRAND-NEW-A1524-AUSLUCK-/151443006875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2342b4e59b

I find this quite strange you'd think that an iPad would cost more to make, and more to buy but it isn't i have looked around for a while and everywhere the iPhone is more expensive. but why? iPad is bigger larger battery larger screen they both have 4g and sim card slots so it cant be that stuff, if the difference is purely that one is newer than that makes me slightly angry. That apple are charging more just because is new. i thought apple were better than this. because we all now that that thing will devaluate like milk so people who have bought the iPhone 6 plus are basically loosing atleast 1/2 of their money, which is the sad truth but i still don't know why they are paying that much in the first place phones that are older like the sony xperia z ultra have devaluated and are still more powerful than an iphone 6 plus. But back to my main point why is an iPhone more expensive than an iPad? i cant see any point to is except apple are greedy and want our cash and that's it.
Someone please help me out here, lol
Me fail English that's unpossible! "Ralph Wiggum"

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Why is the iPhone 6 more expensive than an iPad air 2?...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »
Its simple... Apple has never made an inexpensive product... Its one of the many reasons why I am on PC's that run Windows and Linux because I dont want to be sucked into a deep pocket greed that thrive on those who have to have Apple products.

Only Apple products I have ever had was iTunes which was free, but havent used it in years now. A 2nd hand iPod for $40 which was why i needed iTunes to begin with to update music on it etc, and a Mac Classic that was given to me for free many years ago when it didnt work and I fixed it and then realized how limited it was and got rid of it.

Since then I occasionally assisted friends with their troubled Apple / Mac systems and its a .... "frustrating experience" to keep it clean here  :P

I like universal parts that are not so proprietary etc that you can mix and match vs the limitations of Apple systems etc.

I have had many people approach me for support for their Apple computers and I explain to them "Sorry I only work on IBM Compatible computers that run non-Apple OS's such as Windows or Linux Distros."

They ask why and i explain all the limitations that Apple places on their software and hardware that make it a royal pain to work on. This is this way because they want their OS to be the most secure and less likely for a user to click on something wrong and kill the OS etc. But when you need to get in there and make changes as an admin, Apples OS treats you as if your a dumb user and that just frustrates the heck out of me when I am the admin, so give me full control to make whatever changes are necessary vs Apple Approved changes only etc.  ::)

They pretty much want you to start with a clean install every time there is a problem and kind of force you to do it vs being able to correct for problems manually.

Sorry about the rant on Apple...  ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Why is the iPhone 6 more expensive than an iPad air 2?...
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Apple has never made an inexpensive product
The Apple II had an incredibly high value for money when it was released.

As for the question- the iPad is less expensive because it uses a slower processor and doesn't have TouchID. Also because of the larger form factor the iPad can use less expensive radio components, whereas the iPhone needs them to be smaller (and thus more expensive). The iPhone 6 battery for example is several times more expensive wholesale than the iPad battery simply because it is so much smaller.

Also, unlike the iPad, the iPhone is sold with the knowledge that the cost will typically be subsidized by a cellphone company. This is why the price point is also similar to the price point of competing android smartphones.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.