Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nice of Firefox to throw the new features at you with update to 38.0.1  (Read 6038 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So Firefox popped up showing that an update was available. I decided "sure" let it update. Upon browser launching after update now its FULL SCREEN BROWSER with no controls and no directions on how to get back to the way the browser was before. So I had to mess around and figure it out.

I took screenshots showing what they dump you off at after the update to 38.0.1

And you need to move your pointer to the very top of the screen to then have the hidden toolbar to show, and then right-click in this area to get the menu with 2 options to appear in which they have HIDE TOOLBARS checked. You need to uncheck that, and then your not done there. Now you get your URL bar, but the taskbar is still missing as well as the menu controls of Firefox are still missing. You need to go back to the menu by right clicking to top toolbar again and selecting to "Exit Full Screen Mode". This then brings back the interface menu selections from the prior version of firefox that you had configured prior.

Nothing like an update saying "HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!... You WILL be forced checkout our latest features and oh by the way you need to figure out how to get out of this on your own!"  ::)

Pic 1 is what they dump you off at.
Pic 2 is a useless menu drop down that doesnt help anyone wanting to get back to prior browser setting.
Pic 3 is finding the hidden at top toolbar and unchecking the "hidden" to no longer be hidden.
Pic 4 ( Shown in 2nd post since the sum of the images exceed 700KB per post ) is going back to this toolbar and deselecting the "Exit Full Screen Mode" which shows no check box to even show that its enabled as seen in Pic 3 but it is enabled by default once 38.0.1 is installed.

Then everything goes back to the way it was as far as layout to 37.x.x that you ran prior to the update.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Pic 4 here that didnt fit in the first post

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
I didn't have that problem on any of my systems when FF updated to 38.0.1 Dave. It was a smooth update with no problems or changes to the interface.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
I didn't have that problem on any of my systems when FF updated to 38.0.1 Dave. It was a smooth update with no problems or changes to the interface.

hmm strange. I wonder if any of my addons caused the update to trip up and go to default mode.

Addons enabled:

Adblock Plus 2.6.9
QuickJava 2.0.6

Addons disabled: ( Only enabled when interested in what tracking etc a website is up to etc )
Ghostery 5.4.5

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
I have a whole bunch of add-ons and plug ins (including adblock plus), but I don't use quickjava. I doubt that had anything to do with it though.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner

Same here.  I even have an addon called classic theme restorer which hasn't caused any issues and is still doing what it says on the tin :)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Good to hear you guys didnt have the same issue. Sometimes I wish that computers had a reverse function or instant replay to go through the process again and see what was the trigger for this oddity.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Good to hear you guys didnt have the same issue. Sometimes I wish that computers had a reverse function or instant replay to go through the process again and see what was the trigger for this oddity.
Maybe you pressed F11 by accident?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Maybe you pressed F11 by accident?

Just tried this out on computer I am at now, and F11 brought up full screen and acted just as the issue I had. It also was able to be undone from full screen through the same methods that I went through the other day with the drop down and uncheck hide toolbars and then exit full screen mode.

Thinking now that when i walked away and came back its quite possible that our cat might have stepped on the keyboard as for I found her coiled up in my office chair.

So the cat pulled a trick on me during the update to 38.0.1.  :-[

Thanks BC for pointing out the cause. And my apology to the Firefox team if anyone comes across this for assuming they were throwing features at me with this full screen after update. The cat loves my soft office chair and so it didnt stand out to check to see if she bumped my F11 key.  ::)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Sure...blame the Cat... ::)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Sure...blame the Cat... ::)

The dog is always blameless!  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
 ;D

We own a dog too, but he is a Dachshund. If he finds a way to get up onto my desk which is almost 4 ft off the floor I will have worse problems than just an F11 key bumped.  :P

As it is now he struggles to climb up steps that are maybe 1 ft in height each and he has this hopping method that reminds me of Qbert when he goes down the stairs. My wife doesnt like me calling him Qbert.  ;D

bill30955

Beginner

• Always Learning
    • Experience: Familiar
    I also use Classic Theme Restorer with Firefox 38.0.5.  Everything updated intact. The only thing I noticed was the new "Pocket" option in the Favorites menu. Checked around and looked for a way to remove it. Minimalist here(LOL). Nothing worked. I'll just ignore it. Other than that, no real complaints. Yet.  LOL again.  :-\
    Bill

artbuc

Apprentice

Re: Nice of Firefox to throw the new features at you with update to 38.0.1
      « Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 02:25:12 AM »
      Thinking now that when i walked away and came back its quite possible that our cat might have stepped on the keyboard....

Sure, and I suppose the dog ate your homework too!  ;D