Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dropped my hard drive :/  (Read 3203 times)

dodomut

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I'm still in highschool.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Dropped my hard drive :/
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
Well, my freind dropped his hard drive and asked me to try to see what i could do. He dropped it a while back took it to many places and left me as his last resort.I installed the driver and plugged it into my computer. it sounded fairly healthy. I do believe I hear it spinning or atleaset I hear a spin at first then it kinda leaves. My computer is not reading it so, I don't know what to do. I can open it up to the core but don't want to until I have no other choice.
The hard drive is a Western Digital wd15ears.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dropped my hard drive :/
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Repair of a hard drive is abut like the repair of a watch.
You need tools. Yo need experience.
A hard drive is not designed for simple  repair.
Here is a video. I have watched this and I think is fairly accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ItPkH-SCqU
Your need to have a sense of humor when you watch this. The guy is really clumsy and does every thing wrong.
Read the disclaimer at the end.
Then watch the second video. Pay attention.
 :)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
Please ignore the above video...  ::)

Geek - Please don't post joke videos of people destroying their hard drives, people come here expecting help and run the risk of trying things in linked videos, even if they are jokes...

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
GetDataBack NTFS is a tool I would try on it. To run this you will need to install the hard drive as an internally installed drive and not connected via USB. It requires direct connection to the controller IDE or SATA. The software is free to try before you buy. Its not free if you want to recover data in the end, but this tool does work. I bought a license package of their software and have recovered important data off of drives like this one as well as ones with the clunk of death. There are drives that this doesnt work on that are damaged beyond what this software can handle, those drives need to go to a data recovery center which is expensive such as drives that either dont spin at all or wont work with a data recovery software and require the data platters to be placed into data recovery equipment.

You can run the software and let it chug away at rebuilding the data read off ill drive to a healthy hard drive in which it will rebuild the data found in a drop location on the healthy drive in the system. You just need to make sure you have enough free space for all data found to be written to.

The trial will show you if its recoverable or not. The company that makes the software charges you to buy a license if you want to actually recover the data vs just see proof that it found it and can recover it.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

I bought a software package that has all their recovery tools years ago for $79.99. But you might be able get the 1 recovery tool without the bundle that may work for cheaper if its worth paying to recover data.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Not a joke. Watch the videos.
Second video. Pay Attention!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg
If your hard drive makes a odd sound, thee is no software that will fix it.!
You have to do something physical with the drive.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
Not a joke. Watch the videos.
I watched the video and they were wiping the platters down with liquid, it even states at the end it's a joke.  Please do not link videos like that, they serve no good and are just likely to cause someone to destroy their hard drive.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
If your hard drive makes a odd sound, thee is no software that will fix it.!
You have to do something physical with the drive.

I have had GetDataBack NTFS recover data from a drive that had the clunk of death ... it took almost a week to sweep the damaged drive and assemble the data to a healthy drive, BUT it worked. I didnt have to do anything special physically to the damaged drive. Only think that could be considered somewhat special was the laptop to desktop IDE pin adapter to allow for the damaged laptop drive to work with a desktop computer to recover the data off the drive.

I agree that software is likely not to fix the damaged drive, but software can be used to recover data if the data is important enough to spend money to recover.

I was told by a person on a different online forum to give the software a try and if it shows your data, then you could buy it to recover the data and all future data off of drives. I bought this when I was working as a system admin and while it took almost a week to recover the data with it running 24/7 for about 6.5 days, the cost of the data recovery was far cheaper than sending the drive out to a data recovery center and so the business I worked for was VERY HAPPY that I recovered data that wasnt located elsewhere as the employee shouldnt have been storing projects locally, but since it was a laptop, he had been, and he dropped the laptop walking with it with power on when he didnt realize an object on floor in front of him, and that did it in crashing to the floor with drive spinning and laptop on.

When I saw the actual data files that were his project right there, I was like SWEET!!! We might be able to get it all back. I didnt expect it to take 6.5 days to sweeping the drive to reassemble the data to a healthy drive, but it worked.  ;D

dodomut

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I'm still in highschool.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 07:00:40 PM »
thanks yall