Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to make Open File Dialog to show the folder opened in explorer  (Read 4971 times)

roumor

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    In windows 7 there was this feature I loved when you needed to open a file in a program via standard "File -> Open" dialog and if you had the folder with that file already opened in windows exlorer then you would just click that explorer window and your Open File dialog window would instantly display that folder.

Afer upgrading to win8 i lost this function and really want it back.

just a detailed process because I know it's hard to understand if you never experienced it:
    1) You have pressed File->Open in some program and Open File Dialog showing you some random folder.
    2) You have Target_Folder opened in windows explorer
    3) You click on the windows explorer window
    4) Open File Dialog automatically switches to that folder and you can just pick your file there without navigating for 2 minutes.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to make Open File Dialog to show the folder opened in explorer
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:05:46 PM »
    I don't think that what you are describing is a feature of Windows 7. I cannot duplicate it on any of my Windows 7 machines or VMs.

1. I had a Windows Explorer Window open to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft.NET
    2. I used notepad and used File->Open. The Open File Dialog started in my Documents folder.
    3. Clicking the existing Explorer Window that was open to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft.NET did not change the Open File Dialog to point at that location.

I tried a few different programs (Wordpad, notepad, Paint, and Microsoft Word) and I wasn't able to get the behaviour you described.

The feature may have been coming from an add-on program of some sort, or may be specific to programs that you use (and those programs may not support the feature in win8+).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.