Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Case of the Disappearing Hard Drive  (Read 2823 times)

asterose

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    The Case of the Disappearing Hard Drive
    « on: June 23, 2015, 06:08:16 PM »

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop 64 bit, bought last year in March, using Windows 8.1, AMD Dual processor with a CD/DVD RW drive.  I've had many problems with accessing Windows, dropped partitions, unable to boot, corrupt hard drives, but NEVER in the history of using modern PC's (7 years) has this happened to me.

I've lost my hard drive, literally!  When booting it says "No Bootable Device".  I cannot access it using Linux, either.  My computer does not know it's there.  Do  you know what happened?  Can I get it back?  I had it on a surge protector, so I don't know what happened.  Any information would be helpful.  Also, can I use some sort of device to put the resident hard drive into and at least retrieve the information off of it?  I have experience with PC hard drives, but not laptops.

Thank you for any help you may be able to assist me with.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: The Case of the Disappearing Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 07:50:24 PM »
    The hard drive is likely bad. If the BIOS doesnt detect it then its failed to the point that you would probably have to send it out to recover data from it if there is any critical data that you need. This can be expensive.

If you didnt create a recovery disc or USB flash drive set for this laptop you will probably have to contact the manufacturer to get a copy of the system recovery media. This is probably going to come at a cost of around $35 or so.

You will also have to install a new hard drive into the computer and this also comes at a cost. I would go with a SSD instead of a HDD ( solid state drive vs a regular hard drive ) if you can afford to do so and dont mind working with lesser space to store data. SSD's hold up much better in laptops that are subject to getting bumped when moved around or used.

There are methods to try to get data back from a failed hard drive such as putting the drive into the freezer and then installing it and then trying to access the drive, but the problem here is that your computer is a laptop and the drive might sweat when the cold drive is installed into the laptop and the drives sweat could damage the motherboard. If it was a desktop computer the risk of humidity damage to neighboring parts is lesser and so this is a common trial to get data back in desktops, but i dont suggest it with a laptop.

lewisblack

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:42 AM »
      I have experience with PC hard drives, but not laptops.

Don't try playing with the hard drive as you'll only make the situation worse and later notice that data recovery charges are going up. I'd better advise you to seek professional help and see if they can put advises on retrieving files.

asterose

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:26 PM »

Thank you for your advice.

What would happen if I put the whole laptop in the freezer?

Isn't there a device I could purchase for about $35 that I would put the disk into and it would enable me to access it? 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:20:40 PM »
        If a hard drive is in bad shape, it takes a trained technician a few hours to recover the data using laboratory grade equipment.
        Google Hard Drive recovery
        and accompanies that do  it for a price. Seagate is one  of many.