Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Forced Upgrade  (Read 8673 times)

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

Forced Upgrade
    « on: June 28, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
    What updates from MS am I looking for to delete so that I can stay with windows 8.1; which I love and not let MS sneak windows 10 into my setup ?

What numbers am I looking for to delete fast  -  thanks

Salmon Trout

Re: Forced Upgrade
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:56:46 AM »

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:29:53 AM »
    They won't "sneak it on" - You have to explicitly say that you want the upgrade.

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:07:56 AM »
      According to posted stories they will sneak it on;  wouldn t trust MS farther then I can throw them; any idea how I say NOOO loud and clear ?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:12:39 AM »
      Posted stories about something that has not happened yet... In order to get the update automatically pushed you have to explicitly "preorder" it.

The OS upgrade would be massive and take the machine out of action for at least 30mins, they are hardly going to just do that without asking first.  Microsoft do actually know what they are doing, they aren't just going to randomly force out an update.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
      Despite your paranoia, your question has already been answered correctly. Nobody is going to "force" you to change your OS. If you don't ask for the upgrade you won't get it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »
      According to posted stories they will sneak it on
      Those posted stories are wrong.

any idea how I say NOOO loud and clear ?
      By not installing it in July 29th.

Unless you actually want to get rid of the "Get Windows 10" Notification icon. That would be KB3035583. You can remove it manually using Windows Update and finding it in "Installed Updates".
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:18:34 AM »
        Ok hum stories that are posted across the web and other help forums are dead wrong .

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 07:34:10 AM »
        Ok hum stories that are posted across the web and other help forums are dead wrong .

You asked for assistance and received it. Your sarcasm is both misplaced and not appreciated. And yes, the stories and info on other forums to which you refer are indeed wrong.
        « Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:44:41 AM by Allan »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
        Just for reference, here is one such article. Actually, it's the only one I could find. I can find no other articles or forum posts saying that Windows 10 will in any way be a "forced" update:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/09/microsofts_mystery_update_will_push_windows_10_onto_window_7_8_machines/

Titled "Microsoft's Mystery Update will push Windows 10 onto Windows 7 and 8 machines" It is misleading. The "update" it is referring to is the one that advertises to eligible customers that they can reserve and upgrade to Windows 10. It will not force the installation. Nothing in the article copy substantiates the title.

Other results for 'Windows 10 Forced Install'  (without quotes) are about the current insider preview not really having an option to turn off updates.

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »
          To Allen -

What sarcasm I blinked just stating what I googled yesterday and what yahoo has posted that's all I did didn't know it would upset anyone; if that's the case close it; mark it answered OK ?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
          You have plenty of time to decide.
          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Win10 isn't all that much different from Win8.1.  I have the Insider Preview running on 3 different computers.

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »
            Tell me again how MS won t do forced upgrades just saw this and two other forced MS upgrades posted on the web  all are faked/ dead wrong correct ; but I should delete the one upgrade posted above to stay safe correct ?      The stories are all over the web dang it  and so far the reviews posted say to avoid win 10 at all costs; but guess that's another question ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
            Tell me again how MS won t do forced upgrades just saw this and two other forced MS upgrades posted on the web  all are faked/ dead wrong correct ; but I should delete the one upgrade posted above to stay safe correct ?      The stories are all over the web dang it  and so far the reviews posted say to avoid win 10 at all costs; but guess that's another question ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

Your original post asks how you can prevent Windows 10 from being installed on your Windows 8.1 computer.

The article talks about how Windows 10 Home editions will not provide update options that allow you to not install updates at all.

Previous versions of Windows will not be "force upgraded" to Windows 10. The article doesn't even imply this to be the case, so how you've reached that conclusion, I am unsure.

Verylost

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
              Hum ok ? ?

Can I ask which upgrades I can delete to get rid of windows 10 pop up reminder nag that sneaked in
              to my system that's down by my clock in the lower right ? !

Its that bloody MS icon; the window divided into 4 parts certainly don t need that nag - thanks