Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 2000 and directx  (Read 96308 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
windows 2000 and directx
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
Greetings!

So i put together a machine to run classic ish games on it. ETC DOOM series, GTA2, TITANIC Adventure out of time, Re-Volt but im sure somethings wrong. I dual booted windows 98SE and windows 2000 and when i try to play GTA2 i get "no suitable graphics card found" yet im using a Nvidia mx440 64mb which is more then enough to run that game.

So im thinking i need directx? if so what version is for windows 2k and what version is for windows 98?

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: windows 2000 and directx
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:42 PM »
Sorry this didnt get answered until like 2 weeks later. I was looking in categories and this one caught my attention. Normally I just look in New and Updated post links vs categories. But when all is resolved there I will go out looking for orphan threads that need attention.  ;D

I ran into similar issues with GTA2 and VC many years ago with PCI nVidia GeForce Cards in 2003. I had to update my DirectX as well as go with the stable vs beta driver for the GeForce card. I had the GeForce 4 MX 440 PCI with 64MB RAM which met the recommended requirements for the game, although its performance wasnt all that great running through PCI BUS. This was one reason for me to get rid of my Pentium 4 2Ghz HP Pavilion running Windows XP Home with this PCI GeForce Card and get a newer system with an AGP slot to handle better graphics processing since the HP tower was lacking a AGP slot. I jumped into the GeForce FX5200 128MB AGP on a new back then 2004 Compaq Presario S6030NX running a 2.08Ghz Athlon XP 2800+ with 256MB RAM on 80GB HDD with XP Home and its performance was so much better than the prior system with a PCI Video card. If the Geforce 4 MX 440 was an AGP I think it would have done far better than the PCI card as for I have gotten an older system given to me with an AGP slot type for the GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB and its surprisingly responsive with older games, far better than I remember with that PCI video card of the same GPU and VRAM.

According to this site it looks like it needs DirectX 6.1 or newer. What does dxdiag show for version?

http://www.thegtaplace.com/topdown/gta2/system-requirements/

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:08:55 PM »
DirectX 9 should run on it properly...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:26:52 PM »
I thought the 4 series was DirectX 8 maximum... but your right Patio it does support 9.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_4_series