Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Custom water cooling loop  (Read 3020 times)

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Custom water cooling loop
    « on: July 03, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
    Hey guys, I've just finished putting together my first water cooling loop and it was relatively smooth. I'll attach a pic of the finished product.  However there were a few questions I would like to ask and share some of thoughts on the process. The entire installation process took me around 8 hours of work and all the parts I got were from a company called EKWB and I'm pretty impressed the quality of the products.

first off, radiator are the worst to install. I probably spent twice as long installing the radiator then installing the rest of loop. it turns out that both the radiator and fans wouldn't fit inside the case so i had to put the fans on the outside. which brings me to first question, are my fans set up in good way? I currently have fans on the front and back pushing air in and then 3 fans on top pulling air out.

My 2nd question is how will I know that my working? in my bios menu its "claims" that my temperature is idling around 25 degrees C,  I haven't tested the temp under load because 1. I don't know how and 2. I'm still bleeding the loop.

finally I would very much like to know a good method for draining the loop. I do intend to add a GPU cooler to the loop and ive read that its good to replace the coolant every 6 months. while building the computer I had hooked up the pump wrong and had to drain just a small portion of the loop and it was super scary.

Overall it was a very enjoyable experience i'm already researching my next project  ;D. I look forward to hearing your guys' thoughts and opinions. 

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Custom water cooling loop
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
    Looks like it went pretty well for your first time, congrats on getting it all working!
    It's not usually necessary to replace your fluid every 6 months, more like every 12-18 months, however if you're using coloured fluid it may be wise to drain after 6 months just to check that nothing is sludging up as some fluids are known to deposit particles in the radiator and blocks, sometimes the plasticizer used to make the tubing flexible can also break down and gunk up as well.  That's not meant to worry you - just to say that I think draining after the first 6 months is not necessarily a bad idea so you can check things over, but that after that there's no real need to drain that often.
    It's a shame your radiator and fans don't fit inside the case, but your setup sounds fine to me.  Ideally you'd want the fans blowing air into the case through the radiator so they get the coolest air, but then you'd end up with a front exhaust fan which is a bit odd so what you've done soundas absolutely fine.  Do just keep an eye on the dust build-up on the fans and in the fins of the radiator, you'll probably want to give the radiator a good clean every 6 months or so by removing the fans.
    Your temperatures should be pretty great with a triple radiator cooling just your CPU, even adding a GPU you should still see good temperatures.  Ignore you idle temperature (unless it's crazy high of course) and I would get it under load to see what happens.  If you're not sure what's best to use for load testing, it depends what CPU you have as my usual go-to, Prime95, is not ideal for Haswell based CPUs.  Asus Realbench is a good alternative - http://rog.asus.com/376212014/overclocking/realbench-v2-4-launched-with-x99-support/
    Finally as for draining the loop, that depends how it's laid out, could you post a few pictures of the interior of your case to show it more clearly?  Generally you want to drain from the lowest point in the loop if you haven't installed a drain port (I never did so don't think it's necessary) but depending on your layout this may not be ideal.

Hope this helps, and I'd be interested to see your full list of specs including all your WC gear :)

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:52:09 PM »
      My Computer Specs:
      Mobo: Asus Sabertooth z87
      CPU: Intel i7-4771
      GPU: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
      SSD: Intel 730 series 250GB
      RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 Dominator Platinum Series
      PSU: Corsair 850 HXi

Watercooling Specs:
      CPU: EK-Supremacy EVO
      Reservoir: EK-RES X3 150
      Pump: EK-XTOP D5 PWM
      Radiator: EK-CoolStream PE 360
      Radiator Fans: 3x EK-Furious Vardar FF5-120
      Coolant: EK-Ekoolant Pastel WHITE (Super diluted however, because for some reason I thought 1 gal = 1 liter haha)

I seem to be having trouble finding a water block for my graphics card which is a EVGA Classified GTX 780 ti.

I think I'm going to add a drain valve to one of the unused holes on my reservoir. A more detailed picture of the loop is linked, the pump is kinda hard to see but it on the floor next to the PSU. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RpBg8fXiCNaOqb5bZtMfcYQBTap6eIxztA/view?usp=sharing

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:54:50 AM »
      That's a nice tidy loop, excellent job especially for your first time, I'm impressed.
      How are you finding the Intel SSD?  Don't see many people buying Intel these days which is a shame, I avoided recommending their Sandforce-based drives like the 520 but their X25 drives were great at the time, still rocking a few in various builds, and the 730 series interested me.
      The EK Pastel coolant does have biocide and it's generally well thought of, looks great as well even if it is quite diluted I don't think you can tell.
      Looks like FrozenCPU carry EK blocks for your GPU - Nickel/Acetal and Nickel.  Sometimes it's a struggle to find waterblocks for non-reference cards but with some of the more popular aftermarket designs like the Classified and Matrix, sometimes they are catered for.
      Do you have those Vardar fans on a controller at all, or running full speed?  How do you find the noise?

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:48 AM »
        The Intel was my SSD that I've owned, I actually bought it without doing any research on other SSD. Intel was just a reputable company so I bought it. That being said Im very happy with it, it works. If it does have any flaws I wouldn't know because I don't really know what flaws to look for in a SSD.

I don't know if I have the fan set up correctly or maybe the fact that they are outside the case but it sounds like jet engine is exploding in my room. I correctly have the fans hooked up to the CPU, CPU_ASST and CHA_3 fan slots? I may end  looking for a new set, my roommates are already complaining.

I will definitly check out those GPU waterblocks, also you mentioned something called a reference card? I'm assuming its kind of like the original design? Do you think they are better cards to get over the aftermarket designs?

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »
        Looks like FrozenCPU carry EK blocks for your GPU - Nickel/Acetal and Nickel.
        Don't think I'd be ordering from FrozenCPU any time soon - https://www.facebook.com/frozencpucom, http://www.overclock.net/t/1540656/official-frozencpu-shuts-its-doors.  The general consensus is that the owner literally went crazy and trashed the place - The website is still accepting orders but the internet is full of people complaining that they have placed orders but nothing has arrived and they have been unable to contact them.  Shame since they carried so much stuff!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
        The Intel was my SSD that I've owned, I actually bought it without doing any research on other SSD. Intel was just a reputable company so I bought it. That being said Im very happy with it, it works. If it does have any flaws I wouldn't know because I don't really know what flaws to look for in a SSD.

Ah, fair enough, the 730 is a great drive anyway so you made a good choice.

I don't know if I have the fan set up correctly or maybe the fact that they are outside the case but it sounds like jet engine is exploding in my room. I correctly have the fans hooked up to the CPU, CPU_ASST and CHA_3 fan slots? I may end  looking for a new set, my roommates are already complaining.

I would expect them, to be quite loud as they're 3000rpm models - generally 2000rpm is audible over other sources of noise in an average room, 1500rpm would be fairly quiet.  That's a massive generalisation as it depends on the ambient noise, desigj of the fan (blade shape, bearings etc all affect the noise) and the tone of the noise (a high pitched buzzing is more noticeable than a smooth "whoosh" of air).  That said, the fans you have are designed for radiator use as they have high static pressure, this is what helps them push through the densely packed fins of the radiator - apologies if you know this already.  You could certainly replace them with quieter models, or you could put them on a fan controller to reduce the speed.  You may be able to adjust their speeds in your BIOS, under power/thermal options, hardware monitor, or similar, but the controls offered are generally quite crude.  There are tons of fan controllers available, they generally sit in a 5.25" bay and give you a dial or slider to adjust the speed of each fan.  Some have temperature sensors, some have touchscreens, and some are totally different to how I've just described them just to make it more confusing.  Lamptron make some great bay models which won't look out of place on the front of your case, might be worth looking into that.

Also you mentioned something called a reference card? I'm assuming its kind of like the original design? Do you think they are better cards to get over the aftermarket designs?

Correct, the reference cards are basically Nvidia or AMD's own design, you'll generally see these released first whenever a new graphics card is put out and the non-reference models such as the EVGA Classified, Gigabyte Windforce, Asus Strixx etc may come out a little later.  Some of these are "better" than reference cards in that they may have better power circuitry or better coolers, some are produced because they're cheaper to make than the reference designs.  I wouldn't say that non-reference cards are all bad, but when water-cooling generally you want a reference card because it'll be easier to find blocks for.  As I say though, with the more popular and higher-end non-reference cards, water blocks generally do get released as there's a demand for them.

Don't think I'd be ordering from FrozenCPU any time soon - https://www.facebook.com/frozencpucom, http://www.overclock.net/t/1540656/official-frozencpu-shuts-its-doors.  The general consensus is that the owner literally went crazy and trashed the place - The website is still accepting orders but the internet is full of people complaining that they have placed orders but nothing has arrived and they have been unable to contact them.  Shame since they carried so much stuff!

Holy wow, I didn't realise that!  That's a great shame as they did carry a lot of stock, and items that you couldn't always find elsewhere.  Disregard that suggestion then, sorry.
        « Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:20:23 PM by Calum »

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
          I just ran a stress test, using programs real bench and Corsair Link. I don't know how accurate Corsair link is, but it read my CPU temp at 100% to be around 50 degrees Celsius after 15 minutes. My GPU (not water cooled yet) was around 70 degrees Celsius. the fans under this load didn't get too much louder which I thought was impressive. Would this be considered an accurate test because I assume Corsair Link just takes the voltage running into the CPU and and calculates the amount of heat it should be producing? I found this guide for a more accurate test here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Also would there be method for controlling the fans without buying any hardware? I'm kind of out of money as of late.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 03:24:54 PM »
          Corsair Link should be as accurate as anything else really, 50C under load at stock sounds about right for your CPU, and 70C for your GPU sounds OK too.
          You could check the BIOS for any fan speed options, or Speedfan may be able to do what you want however I'm not a huge fan (pun not intended) of its speed control options.

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »
            Have you heard any news on if FrozenPC.com is shutting down? They have the GPU water block that I want (which EKWB.com doesn't carry anymore) its the EK-FC780 GTX Classy so it will match the rest of my loop

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
            They are still taking orders...don't expect a shipment however...Just sayin.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
              The fan noise is driving me insane, I'm considering changing out the three 3000rpm (42db) radiator fans for a 1150rpm (23.7db) fans. How big a performance drop should I see with the slower fans?

camerongray

Expert
                • Yes
                • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 01:35:26 PM »
              Why not put them on a fan controller?

Aaron.T

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »
                What would you recommend for a fan controller?