Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash player install fail  (Read 3221 times)

t.bone

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Flash player install fail
    « on: July 07, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
    I am using Firefox as my  browser, and my OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition v2002 Service Pack 2. My old flash player was out of date, but I have been unable to download a new version. I have been to the Adobe site more often than I can count, have gone through all of the steps, downloaded the software, but when I attempt to run it, I get an error message stating that the page cannot be displayed, etc. As soon as I close that window, I am automatically taken back to the Adobe website to begin the process anew, only to experience the same result. Then I am returned to the Adobe site, and the process begins again. And again. And again. It's like "Groundhog Day" except with computers and there's no Bill Murray.

Is there a setting that I need to adjust?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Flash player install fail
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »
    I'd upgrade/update for free to Windows XP SP3 and then try again. It might be that the .Net version with SP2 is too old for Flash support.

I have a Windows XP Home SP3 system with latest Firefox and Flash installed and its fine with Youtube etc. Hardware is just a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz CPU and a GeForce 4 MX440 AGP with 128MB vram and the system is running on 1GB DDR 266Mhz.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
    Your protection apps may also be blocking the DLoad...
    I'd run the Flash un-installer 1st to clean out all old versions...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »
    It might be that the .Net version with SP2 is too old for Flash support.
    .Net is unrelated to Flash, though.

The issues with updating Adobe Flash Player are usually because of Adobe's ineptitude more than anything. Their entire process is ridiculous.

I actually need to update my version- I've had to set to always prompt before enabling Flash Player and Firefox now shows the spooky stripes. The entire reason I've not bothered is because Adobe seems to take pride in making the entire process a massive pain, so I simply left it disabled.

I started here. This is some sort of "tool" they have, which tries to find your OS version and download it... the download uses Flash, which is somewhat funny. I had to actually enable the "insecure" version to get that to work. Also it would then redirect me to a page that says "Here's some other stuff you might like" in this case apparently downloading and using flash player means I might be interested in their Creative suite.

However, alternatively, you can choose the "Need Flash Player for a Different Computer?" Link. This takes you to another page which lets you choose a flash player download based on your Operating System and browser, then downloads the installer for you to run to install on that browser, in this case Firefox.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
    "Here's some other stuff you may like " page crashed on my latest update...:P
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

t.bone

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:59:49 PM »
      Thanks everyone for your answers, I appreciate it. Dave, can you send me the link where I can download the SP3 version of XP? Also, I have already un-installed Adobe Flash, but that didn't do anything.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »

t.bone

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »
        I cannot believe the difficulty that I'm having. I went to the MajorGeeks website and tried to download SP3. The file downloads, but when I open my downloads folder, I cannot get the file to run or even open. Geesh, I feel like reverting to the abacus (although I'm sure I'd have trouble accessing it as well).

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:42 PM »
        The full name of SP3 is:
        windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu_c81472f7eeea2eca421e116cd4c03e2300ebfde4.exe
        (Pardon the word-wrap)
        Notice is must be an EXE file. If not, it  will not run. It takes awhile to download.
        Download again. Wiatt for it to finish.