Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on my build  (Read 2658 times)

jfoust98

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Advice on my build
    « on: July 07, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
    im looking at building a gaming computer to run starcraft, diablo 3, steam games, and other assorted games, nothing super high intense.

i would like to keep this build between 800-900 dollars, with the idea of upgrading later as better products hit the market

Current parts list
    -Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Desktop Memory Model CT2K8G4DFD8213  $109.99
    -GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 2.0) LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $89.99
    -Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600  $239.99

I would love suggestions, help, advice and much more on this build since this is my first and dont want to screw up or get ripped off!!!

Thanks!
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:18:18 PM by jfoust98 »

jfoust98

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Advice on my build
      « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:31:10 PM »
      Update!!!! I made a parts list on PCpartpicker.com, i have included the link below. please give any suggestions or advice on this build!!!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rr9B6h

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:09:06 PM »
      Looks good, but the hardware is overkill for the games listed.  ;D

It does allow room to upgrade to a i7 later if you want, although the i5 is more than plenty for titles listed.

jfoust98

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »
        Looks good, but the hardware is overkill for the games listed.  ;D

It does allow room to upgrade to a i7 later if you want, although the i5 is more than plenty for titles listed.

would it be better to get a lesser i5? if so what one would you suggest?
        or would you downsize the graphics card?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
        Biggest question is what is the most complex game you see yourself playing on this system and are you looking to save money and get just what is required according to games you listed and other games of similar complexity for processing power for CPU and GPU?

The build you shared is a strong build and so if you can see yourself wanting to play more demanding games in the next 5 years then I'd go with the initial build. However if your going to stick with the most complex game being = to Diablo 3, then a Core i3 would even work paired with a good video card.

I for example built up a newer 8-Core AMD FX-8350 4Ghz with 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM running Windows 7 64-bit as a gaming system to replace my 6 year old Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 x2 4450B overclocked 10% to 2.53Ghz with 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM running Windows 7 64-bit and the 8-core is overkill for all current and prior games I own for it. The Dual-Core older gaming system wasnt lagging, but I felt a need to buy into a newer system to have more processing power. Fact of the matter is that, I probably could have saved my money because the system that I already had that was 6 years old had no problems and played the games fine. Additionally my power company decided to raise the rates of power kWh to double what we paid prior this past winter and it made more sense to run the 130 watt 6 year old system instead of the 465 watt 8-core system playing the same game titles. Currently my 8-core system hasnt been booted in over a month and I have continued to play on this older system which plays World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, Steam Games from the lesser complex indie games to more complex games like Skyrim, Blades of Time, and Guild Wars, and Guild Wars 2, and Tera Rising etc without any problems in performance at normal settings with 30 to 60 fps. My 6 year old Dual Core is only about 1/3 to 1/2 as powerful as a current Core i3, while the 8-core system is 3x or 4x more powerful than a core i3 and is matched in benchmarks to some i7 processors, with other i7's way faster than the 8-core AMD.

jfoust98

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
          i see, so if i plan on playing some more advanced games then i should just stick with this as a good starting point so i don't have to immediately upgrade later on.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:15:34 PM »
          Yes  :)

xulaokeri

• Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:37:14 PM »