Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are these dead pixels?  (Read 2459 times)

itz_theo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Expert
    Are these dead pixels?
    « on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
    I have an old system as backup which uses an old HP monitor. The model is HP vs 17e.
    Recently some  white pixels started showing up in the middle of the screen that stays stuck whenever the display is on. Also when viewing any image or watching a video the portion where these pixels show up stays dark. The image file attached might give you an idea of what the problem is. Would like to know if there is a fix around this or if the monitor has run it's coarse. I occasionally use this monitor for some color related work and now due to this prob the colors don't seem true.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Are these dead pixels?
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:31:37 PM »
    Reinstall you r vid card drivers and re-boot...if still the same it's the monitor.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

itz_theo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:18:55 AM »
      I know it's got nothing to do with the GPU. Wanted to know if there is any work around the problem or should  I dispose the monitor.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:43:15 AM »
      Generally dead pixels stay dead but if they are just stuck, not dead,  as a last resort before dumping the monitor, there are a few things that people try, some physical and some software based. I should make some things absolutely clear: there is no guarantee that any of these things will work, or if they work, that the same or other pixels won't die in the future. You should only try the physical methods if you were going to dump the monitor. You could make things worse or damage the panel. Hope that is clear. Don't blame me if you bust your screen.

Physical:

1. Pressure Method

Turn off the monitor.

Get a damp washcloth, so that you don't scratch your screen.

Take a pen, pencil, screwdriver, or some other sort of instrument with a focused, but relatively dull, point. A very good tool would be a PDA stylus.

Fold the washcloth to make sure you don't accidentally puncture it and scratch the screen.

Apply pressure through the folded washcloth with the instrument to exactly where the stuck pixel is.

Try not to put pressure anywhere else, as this may make more stuck pixels.

While applying pressure, turn on your computer and screen.

Remove pressure and the stuck pixel may be be gone.

2. Tapping Method

Turn on the computer and LCD screen.

Display a black image, which will show the stuck pixel very clearly against the background. (It is very important that you are showing a black image and not just a blank signal, as you need the backlighting of the LCD to be illuminating the back of the panel).

Find a pen with a rounded end. A Sharpie marker with the cap on should be fine for this.

Use the rounded end of the pen to gently tap where the stuck pixel is - not too hard to start with, just enough to see a quick white glow under the point of contact. If you didn't see a white glow, then you didn't tap hard enough, so use just slightly more pressure this time.

Start tapping gently. Increase the pressure on the taps gradually for 5-10 taps until the pixel rights itself.

Display a white image e.g. an empty text document to verify that you haven't accidentally caused more damage than you fixed.

3. Software methods

Use a "pixel exerciser" app or go to an online web page such as http://www.jscreenfix.com/index.html

Exerciser apps and websites

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-software-solutions-to-fix-a-stuck-pixel-on-your-lcd-monitor/

itz_theo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 09:38:08 AM »
        Thanks for the info.