Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Edge Folder / File Location  (Read 93716 times)

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Microsoft Edge Folder / File Location
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:23:41 AM »
I want to move Edge to the quick launch area but am unable to locate the folder containing the .exe file. Does anyone know where it's located? Thanks.

Salmon Trout

Re: Microsoft Edge Folder / File Location
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
I Googled this. I think it's a "Modern" app, on my 32 bit Windows 10, build 10240, which I believe is the RTM, the command line (and the target of a shortcut) would be

explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

I have tried it by creating a desktop "New Shortcut" and pasting the above line in "Type the location of the item", and it works.

You can search for, and find, a "MicrosoftEdge.exe" in C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe but double clicking doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there still a Quick Launch in Windows 10? You can right click the Start menu Edge item and choose "Pin to taskbar".

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
Is there still a Quick Launch in Windows 10? You can right click the Start menu Edge item and choose "Pin to taskbar".

In Windows 7/8/8.1 you can create one yourself by adding a folder toolbar that points at %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch and configuring it to only show icons. I've not tried that with Windows 10 but I'd be surprised (though only mildly) if they removed that.

I prefer Quick Launch to using 'Pinned' applications, myself.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

Topic Starter

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
Thanks ST. And yes, my (self-created) quick launch from W8 remained intact when I upgraded to W10