Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Samsung T1 Portable SSD not working as a boot drive  (Read 6086 times)

luckylurchiano

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Samsung T1 Portable SSD not working as a boot drive
    « on: August 02, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
    This is my first post and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I can't find an alternative. It's not a hardware problem as the unit works perfectly. I just can't boot from my Samsung [USB] T1 Portable SSD.

I have always kept a cloned copy of my OS in a separate secure location away from my desktop. I have just cloned my copy of Windows 7 [Ultimate] to my new Samsung T1 SSD. The cloning with Macrium Reflect was no problem. I then altered the boot sequence in the BIOS to Samsung T1, CD, HDD. The T1 was easily recognised and I had no trouble in making it number 1 in the sequence. [I boot my Linux OS from a USB and have never had any problems with that procedure]

But, sadly, this is not the case with the T1. The boot sequence bypasses the USB option and goes straight through to an error screen where I can select a normal or safe boot for my Windows 7 OS.

So, my question, please, is what am I missing???

PS: I am aware of the Trim situation with a USB, but as I mentioned, this is not to be an active OS, just a static [safety backup] solution which will be overwritten every week or two. If I can ever get it to boot.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Samsung T1 Portable SSD not working as a boot drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 03:34:12 PM »
    Did you have Macrium make the partition/drive active and bootable in the process ? ?...if not it won't work.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
    Of interest...
    The PDF of the Macrium Reflect v6 user guide.
    http://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v6/user_guide/macrium_reflect_v6_user_guide.pdf

luckylurchiano

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
      Thank you both very much.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:49:10 AM »
      what am I missing?

While some versions of Linux may be booted from an external hard disk, no version of Windows except maybe PE support booting from an internal hard disk. This is by design. You won't be able to do this.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
      While some versions of Linux may be booted from an external hard disk, no version of Windows except maybe PE support booting from an internal hard disk. This is by design. You won't be able to do this.

This is a typo I hope.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 02:10:34 PM »
      This is a typo I hope.

Yes indeed... originally I typed "no version of Windows except maybe PE supports booting from an external hard disk" and I meant to change it to "all versions of Windows except maybe PE will only boot from an internal hard disk".