Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Work Computer makes me press Ctrl+Alt+Del Before Login Screen  (Read 3262 times)

stew2652

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    I have a brand new computer at work with Windows 7 Enterprise.  My old computer which I still have up and running is also W7 Enterprise.  Whenever I wake up my old computer from sleep or reboot, the first screen it comes to is the login for my domain username and password.  On the new computer, the first screen is "press CTRL+ALT+DELTE to log on".  I do so, and it takes me to the login screen. 

Why the difference?  It was suggested to me by a coworker that it is a security feature, but the screen tells me exactly how to get to the logon screen, so how is that a security benefit?  The new pc's were already setup before they were given to us.  I have not been able to find the switch to control it in system properties or account properties.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Work Computer makes me press Ctrl+Alt+Del Before Login Screen
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:23:48 AM »
    It is a security feature and it will probably be put in place by your system administrator across all machines on the network.

The idea is that a program could be built to run full screen on the PC and look exactly like the login box so you think that you are logging in but instead it steals your credentials.  Making you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete helps prevent this as if you were to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete at anything other than the login screen (i.e. this fake login screen program) it would cause Task Manager to appear.

In the end you'll get used to it very quickly, my PC at work does it and I pretty much press Ctrl+Alt+Delete without even thinking, often before I've even fully sat down!

stew2652

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: New Work Computer makes me press Ctrl+Alt+Del Before Login Screen
      « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:44:16 AM »
      Okay, I see it now.  Thanks for the info.

Yes, I will get used to it quickly.  I used to love to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot during the pure DOS days after I made changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT or other files at the command DOS prompt.