Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this possible: 970 + 144hz , 144hz & 60hz monitor?  (Read 3711 times)

frldyz

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Is this possible: 970 + 144hz , 144hz & 60hz monitor?
    « on: August 09, 2015, 07:16:04 AM »
    Im still very new to computers. And learning more and more each day. The more I ask ( silly question or not the more I learn )

This is my set-up:
     i7 non-OC
     MSI 970 GTX
     z97x gaming MOBO
     corsair 750w PSU
     Samsung 850 pro 512 SSD
     4tb Toshiba HDD
     16gb ballistix RAM

Here's my question.
     Is it ok to run 2 144hx monitors and a 60hz monitor on this single GPU?
     Or do I need another 970 GPU?

*** I'm not much of a gamer, but when I get some free time I would certainly like to try ( *cough cough* We have a 2 yr old and 2 month old so we have minimal free time ).
     1) "Why 3 monitors?" Why not? I have the deskspace and I have extra monitors ( I only have 1 x 144hz monitor @ this tie )
     2) "What do I use my PC for?" Internet. Browsing. Surfing, videos etc... Nothing demanding. But @ some point in time I'd like to dabble into picture and home video editing etc... Plus I always have multiple tabs and windows open @ once so the more monitors the easier it is.
     3) "Isnt this an overkill?" Yup.
     4) "Why 144hz?" Have you seen these things? WOW!! I bought an acer 24" 144hz 2 months ago from newegg on sale. Watching videos is amazing.

So we know I have an overkill set-up for what I do. Yes this money could be put elsewhere etc... And I don't need any of this for what I do. I know that. But it's fun. I see it like this: Why does the guy down the road spend $40,000 and 6 years rebuilding a 1972 muscle car in his garage and invest $18,000 on shiny chrome performance parts when he doesn't drive it in the rain? Only put on 1,000 miles a year and never goes above 65mph when the car will do 160 mph? Because he can. And he has fun. This is how I see it.

Ok enough with that.
     1) Can I run 2 144hz monitor on a single 970? a)will there be performance issues with 1 GPU?
     2) Do I need a 2nd 970 GPU?

thanks everyone