Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes within 5 minutes on startup, mouse freezes on restart  (Read 8898 times)

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
This problem has been persisting for a few weeks. I did a fresh re-install of windows 8 (genuine) and it is still happening so I thought I would ask for help. When I first turn my desktop on everyday within 5 minutes of starting up it freezes, no mouse or keyboard response (sometimes before I even have a chance to login). I have tried unplugging and plugging them back in to no avail. If there is anything animated (like a game) on my screen at the time of the freeze it will also be frozen. I have also tried waiting to see if it will unfreeze, even after 1 hour there is no change. Fans are still spinning and all lights (in tower and on headset/keyboard/mouse) are operational.

So after the initial freeze I restart the computer and every single time within 5 minutes of starting up again the mouse will freeze. But only the mouse (keyboard and programs on screen are still operational). This is easily fixed by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Then the computer is good to go for the rest of the day. At first I thought it was a problem with my mouse (Steel Series Sensei Raw) so I swapped it out (Logitech G600) and uninstall the Steel Series software with Revo uninstaller, but even after that the problem persists, and that was before I did a fresh re-install of Win8.

Enabled Startup programs: 
Avast Antivirus
Nvidia Backend
Nvdidia Capture Server Proxy
Realtek HD Audio Manager
usbmonitor

I have attached my Dxdiag file as well. Thank you in advance  :)

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:55:58 AM by Uhura »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer freezes within 5 minutes on startup, mouse freezes on restart
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:32:23 AM »
Did you remember to re-install ALL proper Win8 drivers after the clean install ? ?

Neither of those NVidia apps need to be in the stsrtup group BTW though thats likely not the issue...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:34:01 AM »
Also what is usbMonitor and why do you use it ? ?

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:45:46 AM »
There are a few optional updates that I am running right now just in case, but the problem existed before I re-installed the OS when my computer was all up to date. To be honest I have no idea what the usbmonitor is

Just ran on check on it online and found this information:
The process known as usbmonitor or TODO: File description belongs to software usbmonitor or TODO: Product name by VIA Technologies (www.via.com.tw) or TODO: Company name.

Description: Usb3Monitor.exe is not essential for the Windows OS and causes relatively few problems. Usb3Monitor.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\ or sometimes in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". The file size on Windows 8/7/XP is 331,776 bytes. http://www.file.net/process/usb3monitor.exe.html
The program has no visible window. It is not a Windows system file. It can change the behavior of other programs or manipulate other programs. Usb3Monitor.exe is able to record keyboard and mouse inputs. Therefore the technical security rating is 61% dangerous.

So I am going to remove it with Revo. I don't think it could be the cause of my problems though.. do you?  :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »
Yes...

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
As far as I can tell the VIA drivers go with the chipset in my motherboard. The program itself is called VIA XHCI Host Controller Driver and has something to do with USB 3.0...

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
usbmonitor is not a VIA process from what i have searched...is it listed as a Program in Start Menu /

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
The publisher was VIA Technologies in start-up and it was located in the Program Files 'VIA XHCI UASP Utility' folder, along with  a Configurations Settings (.ini) file that says the following:

This device can perform faster=This device can perform faster
This USB Mass Storage device can transfer infomation faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 Port=This USB Mass Storage device can transfer infomation faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 Port

Along with a list of languages

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:47:16 AM »
So I dug a little deeper into my VIA file in the x86 Program files and found a text document called 'VIA SETUP' there seems to be a problem there. I have attached the file below. I tried to re-install the xHCX64 Application that was also in the file and received this error message:

Setup AP for VIA USB 3.0 controller V1.0 has stopped working

I don't know what this means but perhaps it is the problem?  ???

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
Going to uninstall and re-install with the V4.90A drivers I found here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4602#driver

Uhura

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • LLAP
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 05:51:25 AM »
After removing all of the VIA technologies software everything seems to be working!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:01:49 AM »
Good news indeed...nice work.