Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming PC With a Budget Help?  (Read 2897 times)

Pop

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Gaming PC With a Budget Help?
    « on: August 22, 2015, 06:15:02 PM »
    I'm preparing to switch over from console to PC, but I'm quite new to the individual parts and which brands are good or not. I had a friend build the parts of the computer for me, but I need it to be about 75$ to 100$ cheaper than it currently is.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQg8Bm

It would be used almost entirely for gaming, with the occasional Youtube video here and there. I'd also prefer a Windows 10 OS if possible. I also really like the case, and I'd love if it went with either a full red/black or a blue/black color set. Peripherals not needed.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Gaming PC With a Budget Help?
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:18:12 PM »
    What is the most complex game you plan to run on this?

If you plan to play the game Witcher 3 for example this system just meets the recommended requirements for the CPU even with 8 cores.

One area to save some money would be if you could get by with 4 or 6 core AMD instead on an 8-core AMD. You could shave off almost $100 if you were able to get by with a 4 core ( quadcore ). It all depends on what your going to run for games.  As far as occasional youtube video, I am able to play Youtube through a 13 year old Pentium 4  2Ghz with 1GB 266Mhz DDR RAM, with Geforce 6200 256mb video card for example so Youtube is very very lightweight and only a very very low end modern system would struggle with it if it had too weak of a APU or GPU.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:13:27 PM »
    Something to consider. Is this a DIY project? What is the objective?
    If you are a first time  builder you have to  f ace the possibility of a major failure of a component and the vendor will blame you.   :'(

Suppose you already have a g pod monitor.
    For about $900 more or less  you can get a custom made to order game  PC with 4 core AMD on a Motherboard with 4GB or RAM and 2TB of hard drive. Later you  could upgrade the stock graphics for something better.

Why? barbecue some builders with give you a 2 or even 3 year warranty. Think about it! Bother parts and labor covered.
    Disclaimer. I have not had any experience with such vendors.
    So  the decision is yours, of course.  :)

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
    To save money on your current build without compromising performance you could drop down to a 970 chipset based motherboard (I'd stick with ASUS or Gigabyte though).  This would shave off a decent amount.  If it came to it you could also drop down to one of the 6-core AMD FX chips.  Combining these should shave off at least $100 and won't compromise performance too much.

For about $900 more or less  you can get a custom made to order game  PC with 4 core AMD on a Motherboard with 4GB or RAM and 2TB of hard drive.
    Which would then be $160 more expensive (despite them needing to save $100) for a less powerful machine...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
    camerongray, what you  say is true. A conservative approach is not the lowers cost.

The point I wish to make is there is a large area of pitfalls with any DIY PC project.  There is a real issue about who takes responsibility for unforeseen failure.  How can the OP make a decision not on just price and performance alone? If he encounters a major problem, he might loses hundreds of dollars of his investment.

This has been debated elsewhere.

What mistakes did you make when building your first PC?

Over 200 comments. Most common was not knowing how to turn on the PSU.

Pop

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
      I've read your replies and changed my build to meet some of them.
      http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jt9hpg
      I decided to choose a 6-Core, and I dropped the Mobo down a notch. I also found a friend willing to give me the RAM I have in there, so shave 50$ off the final price. And to answer your question, DaveLembke, I'd mostly be playing newer games. I don't mind playing them on Medium-ish quality, I just want to be sure they run as smoothly as possible. Right now I'm working with 300$ Samsung Pentium computer I bought from a friend, and, as you can guess, it's horrible in gaming. I bought it about a month ago, and by the time I realized just how bad it was it was to late. (I thought, hey, the Xbox One costs about 300$, so this should be just as good, right? No, very much no.) I am looking to play some pretty demanding games, like Planetside 2, Saints Row 4, GTA V, and the mythical Fallout 4 eventually. Would this build be able to handle those, even at Medium quality? ANd it won't bottleneck, will it? I've heard that's a problem.

Oh, and Geek-9pm, I have to agree with the others. My friend bought a 1200$ computer, and my other friend's(The one who gave me the RAM) 850$ custom built computer nearly doubles it's performance in every category.
      « Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:36:50 PM by Pop »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
      I've read your replies and changed my build to meet some of them.
      http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jt9hpg
      I decided to choose a 6-Core, and I dropped the Mobo down a notch. I also found a friend willing to give me the RAM I have in there, so shave 50$ off
      Oh,  and Geek-9pm, I have to agree with the others. My friend bought a 1200$ computer, and my other friend's(The one who gave me the RAM) 850$ custom built computer nearly doubles it's performance in every category.
      Good point. Yes, DIY does save money. Just wanted to give you a heads yup. Myself, I have done DIY most of my life. I have had to accept the consequences. Most of the time everything works. But not always.  :)

Pop

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
        Thanks for the help w/ everything! I'm ready to build!  ;D ;D ;D

Campbbr101

Starter

• Drive It Like You Stole It
        « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 03:21:47 AM »
        I was joking, get over it.
        « Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:32:42 AM by Campbbr101 »
        Drive It Like You Stole It - My Dad

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 03:29:53 AM »
        SWIM says you can probably chop off $90 by pirating Windows 10  >>:
        Keep that up and you won't be around here much longer...