Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot, fans running at full/high speed.  (Read 3616 times)

Alphawolfdog

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer will not boot, fans running at full/high speed.
    « on: August 26, 2015, 03:22:30 AM »
    So about two days ago my family's computer began acting up. When I try to turn it on it will show nothing on the screen and the mouse and keyboard will have no lights on, then after about 5-10 seconds all the fans will begin to spin at high speed until I turn the computer off manually. The first time I turned it on after the initial failure I left it on a while to see if anything would happen. Eventually after about 2 minutes the power light turned red and the computer began to beep. I could not get this to happen again after that. I have tried taking the CMOS battery out, then putting it back in, still did not work. I tried taking out all but one stick of ram for each of the 4 sticks (4 1gb sticks) then turning it on. I also tried turning it on with nothing at all connected to the computer. Nothing has worked. My only guess to why this is all happening is because we've had about 3-4 power outages in the last week. The computer is not hooked up to a surge protector. We have had power outages before and the computer has still worked but maybe this time it just got fried or something. The computer is an HP Compaq DC7900.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer will not boot, fans running at full/high speed.
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:32:16 AM »
    I'd start with swapping out power supply with a known good one of adequate wattage rating. Unless your main board took a lightning hit, this fixes this problem 99% of the time. Sounds like power supply is damaged and so you have some voltages, but not all of them at correct level.