Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: access hotmail in "normal" mode IE8 Windows XP  (Read 3787 times)

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    access hotmail in "normal" mode IE8 Windows XP
    « on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
    I don't know whther this post should be under OS's>Windows, or some other subject.  I am sorry if it's in the wrong place and also if Windows XP is a subject that has been expunged from Computer Hope.

I still use in several systems, Windows XP
    I use IE8 on these.  I believe that this is the most up-to-date version of IE that use under Windows XP

I use hotmail.  I don't know what MS call it now, maybe its live.com or something.
    typically I go to www.hotmail.co.uk, which gives me the log in screen.  I enter my login details, and get to the "mobile" version, a horribly presented and cut-back version of what I  am used to.
    how do make it use the version I am familiar familiar with, which I can still access on my Windows 7 system ? (it is frequently convenient to access my email on my XP systems).

This started happening only recently, sometime in the last month, maybe even oin the last week.  It happens on all my Windows XP computers.  What's going on ?  Can I fix it ?

(Now the IBM T41 I am using goes straight into mobile version; I have also experienced a pre screen on which I am offered the choice to update IE [this is confusing as I thought I was already using the most uptodate version available version aavailable to me ??] or else go straight into mobile mode - this step is now missed out.  The  MS website is no use as any reference to XP has been deleted)

Thanking responders for their solutions and information in advance,

Dumb_Question
    27.September.2015

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: access hotmail in "normal" mode IE8 Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:41:26 PM »
    My personal suggestion is to ditch IE8 and use Firefox or another up to date browser of choice. You may be running into formatting issues as well as lack of support for modern features. I use Firefox with my Windows XP Builds and they run top notch on Firefox with no problems with all websites I visit which vary from email accounts over the web to youtube and Netflix etc.

Also from systems I have tried IE8 on with XP trying to surf the web some sites report that your browser is not up to date and the site no longer supports IE8 or requires IE10 or newer etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
    MS bailed on HotMail awhile ago....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
    I'm surprised hotmail.com even works, Microsoft haven't supported it for years.  Nowadays you should be using outlook.com - Your existing account should still work on it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:32:42 PM »
    I'm surprised hotmail.com even works, Microsoft haven't supported it for years.  Nowadays you should be using outlook.com - Your existing account should still work on it.
    hotmail redirects to Outlook.

from what I can find from some searches, The Mobile site  should have a link to the "PC Version" somewhere near the bottom of the page. I'm unable to find how to turn on Mobile mode though.

it might be that the "normal" mode doesn't work with IE8. In that case it would be best to switch browsers.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dumb_Question

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
      Thank you for answers.

hotmail redirects to Outlook.
      Yes, or live.com, I can't remember.

from what I can find from some searches, The Mobile site  should have a link to the "PC Version" somewhere near the bottom of the page. I'm unable to find how to turn on Mobile mode though.
      this link isn't obvious though I did get it work in "normal" once somehow, I reached somewhere I wasn't interested in and hit the back button a couple of times.  I couldn't do it again though.

it might be that the "normal" mode doesn't work with IE8. In that case it would be best to switch browsers.
      that's what I'm afraid might be the problem: MS have made some change recently that has caused this.

My personal suggestion is to ditch IE8 and use Firefox or another up to date browser of choice. You may be running into formatting issues as well as lack of support for modern features. I use Firefox with my Windows XP Builds and they run top notch on Firefox with no problems with all websites I visit which vary from email accounts over the web to youtube and Netflix etc.

Also from systems I have tried IE8 on with XP trying to surf the web some sites report that your browser is not up to date and the site no longer supports IE8 or requires IE10 or newer etc.
        I also find this problem with certain websites.  However, I do not use these very often and it has not become a problem.  However, because the issue  with hotmail, or outlook or whatever it's new name is, I shall certainly consider very seriously using Firefox instead.
      I also have to update (replace my current version with a newer version) Firefox to run this program(Hotmail/outlook/live.com).  I haven't tried it yet (don't know if XP will work with new version of Firefox !! though I now think it will, because of Dave Lembke's comment).

Dumb_Question
      29.August.2015

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
      Latest FireFox works fine on XP...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "