Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor turbo boost  (Read 2827 times)

mikaman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Processor turbo boost
    « on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:46 PM »
    Hey, this is my processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/81015/Intel-Core-i7-4510U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz supposedly goes to 3.10GHZ with turbo boost.
    I use my computer without the battery, only connected to the plug, and for some time I noticed that my processor only arrive to 2.57GHZ(even in stress), and then yesterday I put my battery in the computer and that's when I noticed that after all my processor reaches 3.10GHZ, is that normal? (i have my battery settings on high performance).

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Processor turbo boost
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
    Why run without the battery to begin with?

Its dangerous to run a laptop without battery. Reason why is because dip in power will cause it to crash and this can corrupt the HDD or and some SSD's when the power dips. Laptops are best run with battery in them because the laptops battery when powered off the wall acts like a UPS backup power source.

mikaman

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
      My only reason to run my computer without the battery is because i didn't wanted to have an addicted battery, i guess i'm wrong.
      Thanks btw.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:38:07 PM »
      No Problem, I'd definitely not run without battery unless that battery was junk with a shorted cell and cooked when plugged in and no money to replace battery and in that case, I'd run the laptop through a battery backup if available to try to protect from corruption to the HDD. Additionally running without battery will cause your power supply to roast as for its carrying the full weight of the load and run hotter than if a healthy battery was installed and  fully charged with charge/discharge cycles that the charging circuit goes through.