Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard will post and has latest bios installed but can't install windows 7  (Read 6596 times)

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    My setup is a 8100 elite sff mobo with a i3-560 and 2gb of ram (2x1gb). I connected a 80 gb hdd and it posts with all 2gb reported. However when i try and install windows 7 off a usb stick (i copied iso image on there for ease), it will load the files, open the windows logo....Then disaster! Stray lines everywhere and computer turns off with psu fans idling. Do I have to install graphics driver updates or firmware updates on the processor or??? Is it an issue with the ram??? (patterns of lines different with each open. Is the bios setup wrong??

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

Btw it also registers a pxe 2.1 boot 086 error as it posts. I can get into bios and setup easily.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      When I've had this before, it was faulty RAM.  For a quick test, try booting setup with each 1GB stick of RAM separately and see what happens.  There are other possibilities but I'd rule the simplest thing out first.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      Btw it also registers a pxe 2.1 boot 086 error as it posts. I can get into bios and setup easily.

This error is usually a CMOS battery failing...
      You may also want to try doing the install with just 1 stik of RAM.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

So when installing some new ram xlr8 2x 4 gb, the system now just stalls on the loading screen with "Windows" on it. There doesn't seem to be anything to do about the setup screen. It is probably one of the worst bios screens I've ever come across, with the typical solutions of uefi and legacy nowhere to be seen. Might it be the fact that it has a i3 560 processor (which it recognizes) or possibly wrong ram again. The CMOS battery swap didn't really help.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

I tried it with the simple 1 gb RAM and it does the same thing, now. The 8200 motherboard seems to have issues with things like EFI UEFI? I am really confused.  ??? I've been working on this computer for over a week now. It also seems to register the full RAM value when it runs up the number on the first screen (is it allocating the sufficient ram for things like graphics?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Experience: Expert
          Define UEFI.
          UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output system). This standard was created by over 140 technology companies as part of the UEFI consortium, including Microsoft

Can you disable the secure boot thing?
          Had you ever installed any OS on this machine?
          Do you have a Linux CD you can use for a quick test?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          Try resetting the BIOS to defaults, and try booting setup from a CD, just to rule out your USB installer - or as above, try a Linux CD if you have one or can make one.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

It will not install windows xp from cd and will blue screen with 0x0000007b. The "bios" which is called setup really doesn't have anything like UEFI settings. I can change boot order and set it to have pxe or not. I can also change power management and choose to enable or disable Vxt Vga technology. I can also modify the way it writes to my HDD. I kept away from that but effectively it allows me?

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

Never had an os on this machine. Old wiped hard drives. I tried putting a hard drive on it with Windows 7 working, one I had done off another system. However as soon as It starts up, it stops on the word "windows", again. Could it be that the motherboard is at fault, or maybe the way its trying to write on the HDD (gives basic options of IDE, RAID, AHCI but it is connected with a sata cable to the board (No ATA)).

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              If this MBoard is still under warranty i would return it immediately...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

No it isn't sorry. I am looking at similar issues for the sff 8200. ( issues are uncannily common for the series).

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                • Experience: Expert
                HP Compaq 8100 Elite Series
                http://www.nts.nl/site/html/modules/PDF/PC/HP%208100%20CMT.pdf

Onboard graphics or separate graphics card?

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

on-board graphics.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

I thought that the i3-560 had intel integrated graphics as well...