Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Liquid cooling without a fan  (Read 2930 times)

Aelric

Topic Starter

Rookie

Liquid cooling without a fan
    « on: October 21, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
    Hey there everyone, just wanted to get an opinion. I've got a fairly big case with a 3700K Intel CPU and a Corsair all-in-one liquid cooling unit. I run games like The Witcher 3 for extended play sessions so it gets a fairly heavy load.

I recently moved across the country and I guess things got jostled around so now the fan is missing a blade and rattles, which is driving my nuts. Can I run this CPU at load for extended periods of time with just the radiator or is the fan essential? The radiator is attached to the top of the case with a big vent above it and the fan below it blowing upwards. Way I'm thinking is that since the heat will rise out of it, I might (hopefully) wont need to use the fan anymore and can be free of this maddening rattle.

So, safe? Or should I try to find a replacement fan?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Liquid cooling without a fan
    « Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »
    Buy a fan.
    When they put forced air coaling into a design, the BTU moved goes up a lot like a magnitude. (10X).

Here is an anecdotal story from the past. Apple tried to get away with convection coiling on a very small system years ago. But it could not be used on a spacecraft. Without gravity, the hot air just stays in one place. They had to add a small fan.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 06:14:36 PM »
    Fans are cheap, don't risk it!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
    "Passive" cooling is possible, but the Corsair and other all in one units are NOT designed for this, don't attempt it.  Any 120mm fan will suffice as a replacement but it does need fairly focused airflow, a fan just blowing in the general direction won't be enough.