Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows cannot load classes registry file  (Read 9242 times)

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows cannot load classes registry file
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:00:41 PM »
The other day my computer got stuck on the "Shutting down..." screen so I ended up shutting it down by force, something which I have grown to regret. On bootup, a whole bunch of extremely weird things started happening which led me to restore from an earlier date and led me to where I am now. My error/"Details" is almost a perfect replication of:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/event-id-1542-user-profile-service-and-missing/d7df458e-f8f7-4e2f-bd65-16b9ceeb5631?auth=1

I'm getting a BUNCH of errors in Windows Event Viewer all complaining that Windows couldn't load classes registry file. In the registry, there is no entry in the hivelist for the current user classes.

However, symptoms include the wallpaper not loading, not being able to bring up the Start Menu, etc. I believe I have really brought it down to the user profile not getting fully loaded correctly. However, the fix is not entirely clear, since all guides that I've found were for Windows 7 or before, and the fixes did not appear to work on my Windows 10 box. I would prefer to be able to fix the user account currently in place as opposed to creating a new main user account.

As a note, if I create a new account and log into that one, the Start Menu/Wallpaper work just fine, it's just my main account that's broken.

Some people are saying that it means the NTUSER.DAT file is corrupt and that recreating it fixes the issue. If that is truly the case, could someone point me in the direction of recreating that file?

Thanks again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows cannot load classes registry file
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Try this 1st...

Let us know how it goes as there are other options...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:21:54 PM »
Hi patio,

I've created a Windows 10 Repair Disk, and attempted to repair from that but with no luck. Other options?

EDIT:
I've also tried:
"sfc /scannow" from broken userspace (probably wouldn't fix the problem then, perhaps from a separate admin user?)
Hesitant registry modifications
Replacing TileDataLayer/Database (fixed one issue, but left another I do believe)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:26:01 PM »
See Here...

BTW the disk you created will NOT work for this...you will need an MS CD/DVD that matches the version you have installed...Best of Luck...

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
Fudge. That was the only blank DVD I had too, and I don't have the Windows 10 DVD on me. I don't think.

I suppose the Windows 7 guides and the Windows 10 guides are pretty much parallel then?

Does anyone have any other ideas considering I don't happen to have a Windows 10 DVD sitting on my desk?

I would also like to make the note that the options for repairing or exactly the same the ones in the first option. In the second one of course, reinstalling Windows 10 would probably do the trick...but you know I really don't feel like reinstalling Windows 10 today, thanks.

ANOTHER EDIT:

I've made another observation that I cannot directly click-run programs from the Start Menu on the "working" users. I can right click, and run as an administrator or open file location though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:08:51 PM by Roguebantha »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
Isn't Win 10 fun though ? ?

Roguebantha

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »
Patio, "upgrading" from Windows 10 to Windows 10 fixed the issue. Essentially your second solution. Thanks again for the help!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 06:08:43 AM »
Glad you are fixed up...