Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lenovo new touchpad issue  (Read 5377 times)

maxcheese3

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Knave
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Lenovo new touchpad issue
« on: November 04, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »
I own a Lenovo W540 with Windows 10 on it and the default touchpad is absolutley terrible. I saw that it was possible to install a new touchpad from the W541 onto the W540. The new ones are much better, so I proceded to do that. This one to be exact. http://www.ebay.com/itm/272000239170?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So i succesfully installed the new touchpad on my W540 within 5 minutes, and everything was working fine it seemed. I then tried to go into the mouse settings in control panel to adjust things, and there was no thinkpad tab for changing advanced mouse settings. I then uninstalled the ultranav drivers and reinstalled the newest ones, they installed without error. That didnt work. I tried near everything in the book to fix it. After hours of work and countless restarts I decided to do a new fresh install of Windows 10 and install the drivers. Surely that would work. Nope. Still no thinkpad tab in the mouse settings. Still no way to customise my new touchpad. Iv'e also tried putting this touchpad on a Windows 7 W540, and it doesnt work their either. So its not a Windows issue and is definetly some sort of issue with the touchpad.

Anyone know what is causing this massive headache? I just want gestures and 2 finger scrolling and such. I am a technically competent user and can not figure this out.
Any help is super appreciated.

Thanks

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Lenovo new touchpad issue
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:09:33 AM »
Since this is the touchpad from a newer model and not a W540 you should try installing the drivers for a machine that shipped with that touchpad such as the W541, W550s, T450s.etc.

I actually did this modification to my T440s a while back and had to use the n10gx25w to get it to work properly under Windows. .exe]http://driverdl.lenovo.com.cn/think/download/driver/7448/UltraNav[n10gx25w].exe.  That said, I run Linux on my T440s so I've only very briefly tried the touchpad with Windows (8.1 Pro) so things may have changed.

It's also worth noting that there are two different manufacturers of those Touchpads - ALPS and Synaptics. Mine is a Synaptics unit, hence using the Synaptics drivers however people with the ALPS version suggest that this driver works: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds101970

You may find that the installers will refuse to run due to the machine model not matching but you should be able to force it to install by doing "Update Drivers" in Device Manager.

I wrote a blog post about this modification when I did it and there is a bunch of comments mentioning different drivers so it may be worth digging though them and seeing what you can get working: http://camerongray.me/2015/02/fitting-physical-trackpoint-buttons-to-a-lenovo-thinkpad-t440s/

maxcheese3

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Knave
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »
Here I'll go into more specifics of what I have tried. So I've tried the newist generic synaptic driver. Ive tried many different versions of lenovo's drivers. Like a lot and multiple times for each.. Anyways the best current guess for what the problem might be I think is that the driver software might for some reason check to see if the machine I have is supposed to have the touchpad I have. From device manager I found that the hardware id of the tochpad is *LEN0034 which after a google search I found that this device is assosiated with the T540p. And I have a W540. Although it fits in fine and plugs in fine and should work fully fine and I see no reason why it shouldnt. Anyways I downloaded the newest touchpad drivers for the T540p, but as I suspected they are the exact same drivers offered for the W540 and W541.

One thing I tried doing was changing the hardware id of my W540 to match the id of a W541, but that resulted in 0 change.

Every once in a while when i try to open mouse settings it will pop up with an error message saying the synaptics driver is not installed or that a synaptics device is not detected. In device manager the device is listed as Synaptics Pointing Device though, as it should be. The only thing that doesnt work with my touchpad is opening the advanced settings. Also Ive tried just navigating to and running the executable that in the Synaptics Program Files folder. But it just does nothing.

I was thinking maybe if there was some way to change the hardware id of the new touchpad to match that of one for the W541. But it seems dumb that those need to match so I'm not too optimistic about it.

maxcheese3

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • Knave
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:39:37 PM »
Bump

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:06:27 PM »
Nice bump...
Did you try Camerons suggestions above yet ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "