Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on My Build.  (Read 2517 times)

marcangeloh

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Advice on My Build.
    « on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
    So I am going to build a desktop as my Personal Project. Information about Personal Projects here:
    https://www.isparis.edu/uploaded/Documents/MYP_Documents/Personal_Project_Student_Guide.pdf
    Basically what I have so far is that computers require Great Processors such as the Intel Core I7-4790k which would make all processes on a computer. I chose that processor because it is a well known brand and processor. Furthermore I have also found out that I should aim for the NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 or something close to that. I really need assistance and recommendations into what type of software I should run, what other components I need and anything useful that one can contribute. I really need help here because I do not know so much about components yet. ??? I am unsure what to do and so I which to use the forums as an extra source. Thank you for taking interest. Please reply. :-*

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Advice on My Build.
    « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:16:10 AM »
    You should consider a 6th generation i7 and a motherboard such as ASUS with DDR4 Memory for starters
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
    We won't write your project for you, but we can certainly aim to help you understand some of the concepts.  When you're choosing components for a PC, you really need to consider two things - how much you want to spend, and what the purpose of the computer is.  A gaming PC would have very different requirements to a home theatre PC, or an office PC.  Do you have something in mind?  If so, we can perhaps point you in the right direction, to help you understand why you'd pick one component over another, or what benefits you'd see from that change.

You should consider a 6th generation i7 and a motherboard such as ASUS with DDR4 Memory for starters

I'm not entirely sure how you've come to that conclusion.

marcangeloh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 03:38:41 AM »
      ok so what would you think of this build please give your opinion: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
      Unfortunately that's just a generic link, it doesn't show the parts you've selected.  Once you've created a build on pcpartpicker you should see a "permalink" which will let others see your build if you post that.

marcangeloh

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:47:20 AM »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
        There are a few things I'd change on that build if it was up to me...
        I wouldn't buy an MSI board, I'd go for Asus or Gigabyte.  I've had too many weird issues with MSI products in the past to be comfortable recommending them.
        You have two different kits of RAM on your list, you only need one of those if you want 16GB, or get a kit with 4 identical modules if you want 32GB.  16GB should really be enough for most uses.
        I really couldn't recommend that hard drive.  It's vastly slower than an SSD and vastly more expensive than a normal 1TB hard drive.  I would strongly advise adding an SSD to the build - Crucial, Samsung, or Plextor would be my go-to recommendations.
        I'm not sure GTX 960 SLI would be the best idea, I'd always try to buy a single more powerful graphics card - one, so you can SLI that card later, and two, because SLI doesn't always scale perfectly, so you won't always get the full performance of two cards.
        That power supply is way overkill for that system, a decent 650W would be more than enough.
        I can't comment much on the case or cooler, unless you're overclocking then buying a much better cooler would be a bit of a waste and the case is really a personal choice.  If you like the way it looks, being see-through and all, then fair enough.
        My final thought would be that I'm not sure I would recommend going with a sixth-gen i7 based build, the pricing is pretty crazy as you could buy an X99 motherboard and an i7-5820K for the same price.  The 5820K has a slower clock speed but two additional cores compared to the 6700K, it also supports quad channel DDR4 and has more PCI-Express lanes (this is important if you wanted to run SLI).  The 6700K will be faster in less multithreaded applications but it's by no means a clear-cut choice.

I hope this helps give you some ideas, feel free to ask if any of the above needs clarifying as I've typed this up quite quickly so I haven't gone into detail.