Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good hardware, bad performance?  (Read 2735 times)

somebody480

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Good hardware, bad performance?
    « on: November 13, 2015, 04:18:58 PM »
    Hi, I am new here; I tried to post in the most relevent topic but my problem may be more broad than hardware. Please point me to the right topic if this is the incorrect one.

tl;dr:
    (1) My computer has good hardware for gaming but runs very poorly at strange times..
    (2) Boot times are unreasonably long, and the computer is unusable for ~30 minutes.
    (3) On intensive games or games with uncapped frame-rates, white "flickers" occasionally occur on screen, and a constant background audio "buzz" can be heard.

I am hoping for some advice on how to fix my computer's performance, or at least point me in a good direction to troubleshoot.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    My computer is primarily used for gaming, but experiences a lot of "lag" (taking an unreasonable amount of time to start programs, software becomes unresponsive, explorer.exe frequently crashes and must be restarted) even when doing the most basic things, such as using windows file explorer to find a program shortcut.

It also takes ~10 minutes to boot up, and after that once I log in it usually runs so slowly that it takes around 20 minutes before it is usable. Programs that I try to start will not start for up to 5 minutes, and once they do they often function so slowly that they appear unresponsive (but if I wait, they do eventually work). I have tried general fixes such as defragging, checking for malware and rootkits, cleaning up junk files, etc. I have disabled all unneeded startup programs as well, but startup times remain slow.

I am using a prebuilt ASUS computer, but I upgraded the power supply and GPU a couple of months ago.

My computer currently has this hardware:

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    GPU AMD Radeon R9 270X
    Memory 8.2 GB
    Power Supply Rosewill Hive 850W
    Motherboard ASUS cm6850

I have windows 7 64bit as the pre-installed OS.

When running games, they will often detect my hardware and run at maximum graphics settings. For example, Fallout 4 defaults to Ultra settings at max resolution. When I actually play the game, it sometimes runs smoothly at 60fps without any problems for a while, and then drops to extremely low framerate randomly (maybe 1-2 fps). Once its performance drops like this, when I close it my computer continues to run slow as if it had just finished bootup. Just like with that, when I wait for a while and try again it functions well. I should note that it does not seem to depend on where I'm at in the game (exterior/interior cell, lots of buildings, etc) but instead seems to occur without warning.

Another strange thing is when running the game League of Legends, if I uncap the fps under it's options, it will jump to ~300 fps. However, when it does this, a strange buzzing sound is played through any audio I have (it's done this on 3 different headsets/earphones) and random white flickers will occur on the screen at random intervals (not constant).

Using a program to monitor my CPU/GPU temperatures, the temperatures seemed to be fine. It worried me anyways, so I simply capped the fps at 120 and the problem stopped. Sometimes when playing other games at high fps, the white flickers also occur.

All of my drivers are up to date, as well.

The only source for these problems that I can think of is that perhaps when I put in my graphics card I somehow did something wrong, but I'm not sure how I can be certain or what to do to fix it.

Does anyone know what might be causing these problems or how I can fix them?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Good hardware, bad performance?
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »
    Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you may have a few separate issues to be honest, I would start by testing your HDD (I'm assuming you have a HDD but if you have an SSD, please say).  A failing HDD has the potential to cause similar issues to most of those that you describe.  You can test the drive by using the manufacturer's utility (e.g. Seatools for Seagate drives) and running the long test, or by using the free version of HD Tune which has an error test tab.

The buzzing and other issues you mention with uncapped frame rates is fairly common and as you seem to have deduced, is purely down to the uncapped and extremely high frame rates, typically experienced on some game menu screens.  If capping the frame rate resolves these issues I wouldn't worry too much.

Post back with your results once you've tested the drive and we'll see where we can go from there.

somebody480

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
      Sorry for the late response. Using HD Tune, it found no HDD errors.

I also had this happen today: http://imgur.com/8f4q7To

The display in the screenshot is my main monitor connected to the HDMI port of my GPU

Oddly, my 2nd monitor display was fine. It is also connected the the GPU through the VGA port.

I turned off the computer, unplugged everything external, opened the case and cleaned it with compressed air. There was not much dust though, I try to do this regularly.

I kind of wiggle my GPU a bit to make sure it was in securely, and it seemed fine. I plugged everything back in and it seems to be working okay again for now.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »
      Interesting, normally a GPU that isn't quite seated will cause crashes and graphical anomalies but not all of the issues you've described.  See how it goes, hopefully you've managed to sort it :)