Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why can I have two downloads at 32kb's but not single download at 60kb's  (Read 3535 times)

Itrenor

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Hey,

One thing that's seriously starting to bother me is that I can have two downloads running at the same time at 32kb's each but I can never get a download to run at 60kb's.  It's most notable if doing torrent downloads or software like GetRight where the software overcome this limitation by having multiple socket connections to the same file getting a combined speed of 60kb's.  Is this a protocol limitation, server restriction, ISP throttling?

Kinda embarresed that I don't know the answer to it to be honest but then again, never delved that deep into the internals of sockets.

I would appreciate any insights or information you could give.

P.S. Not a question on how to improve my overall speed as it's ISP throttled, nothing that can be done about that, just confused as to why I can't use my full Available bandwidth on one download instead of only spread over multiple.
    We all lack knowledge on some or another subject ... it's whether we choose to argue rather than learn that makes us ignorant...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Why can I have two downloads at 32kb's but not single download at 60kb's
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »
    Is this a protocol limitation?
    Yes, that is why they do two or more threads.
    Do you need a detailed answer?

Itrenor

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Why can I have two downloads at 32kb's but not single download at 60kb's
      « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
      Great, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated ;)
      We all lack knowledge on some or another subject ... it's whether we choose to argue rather than learn that makes us ignorant...