Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows backup "no disc" dialog box  (Read 3388 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Windows backup "no disc" dialog box
« on: December 27, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »
I'm attempting to run windows backup with it set to save to CD/DVD drive. It's tells me there is no disc in the drive but I've put 3 separate DVD-R disc in it so far. All 3 disc are brand new bought at Wmart today. The PC is Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop / Win 7 home 64bit. I am sure the optical drive will burn a disc. I've never used Windows backup before. What am I doing wrong?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows backup "no disc" dialog box
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:05:47 PM »
Hard to say. It should work.
Back up and restore: frequently asked questions

The link above is from Microsoft and might be of some help.
But look at this:
We recommend that you save your backup on an external hard drive that can hold at least 200 GB.
This would indicate that the backup will not use a DVD for a system backup. Instead, you must use an external USB hard drive.

Myself, I have not use DVDs for backup for years. I always use a hard drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:46 AM »
Borrow a few different brands of media from friends...
Some burners are finicky about which discs you use.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 08:17:25 AM »
Your drive is reporting as a CD-RW / DVD drive... It can only burn 650 or 700mb CD-R or CD-RW discs. It cant burn to DVD according to what I see here.

If you have a USB stick, I'd go that route. I have used the USB stick method myself which is better vs burning discs at a cost.

See pic which is a snippet from your screenshot.

Confirmed... its not gonna burn DVD-R's according to the make/model # of that optical drive ... http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-nec-optiarc-crx880a-cd-rw-dvd-rom-combo-drive-ide-series/specs/

* I have always found it interesting how a DVD disc cant be burned at capacity of a CD in a CD-RW drive similar to how 1.2MB HD Floppies could be formatted to SD 360k many years ago to use newer 5.25" floppy disks in older drives that only supported 360k. It probably has to do with an initialization stripe on the discs at the inner most track that come blank I am guessing for them to be identified as CD or DVD media when inserted into the drive. However it could be more involved than this. I havent researched the matter.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
If you have a USB stick, I'd go that route. I have used the USB stick method myself which is better vs burning discs at a cost.

Yes I have an extra USB stick and the backup worked fine. I never noticed this optical drive is for burning CD's only, not DVD's. I have only used it burning music CD's. Thanks for the heads-up DaveLembke!  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
Good Catch Dave...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:27:30 AM »
Thanks Patio  ;D and good to hear that the thumb drive method worked for you Lectrocrew

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
* I have always found it interesting how a DVD disc cant be burned at capacity of a CD in a CD-RW drive similar to how 1.2MB HD Floppies could be formatted to SD 360k many years ago to use newer 5.25" floppy disks in older drives that only supported 360k. It probably has to do with an initialization stripe on the discs at the inner most track that come blank I am guessing for them to be identified as CD or DVD media when inserted into the drive. However it could be more involved than this. I havent researched the matter.

Burnable Discs, both CDs and DVDs, are constructed similarly to stamped discs, but rather than having a master stamped onto them, they are instead stamped with a pre-groove that is effectively a single, massive land. These lands are the parts the lens sees- the laser is fired at it, and it reflects back to the lens because of the pregroove. One can observe this pregroove pretty easily, actually- just take a blank disk and hold it to the light- notice the rainbow of colours? That's the diffraction resulting from the pregroove.

The discs are burned by basically focusing the laser on the dye layer above the pregroove, which causes it to crystallize and become opaque, stopping it from reflecting light. The pregroove is a necessary feature here- and of course CD and DVD disc grooves have widely different track pitch. The pregroove is also used by drives to identify burnable discs, since the pregroove has some very tiny amplitude modulation that is used to encode information about the disc. A Cd-R/RW drive with a DVD inserted basically sees nothing- it's looking for a pregroove or a groove at the appropriate track pitch for a CD, but it can't see one. Even if it could be forced forward to burn, there is no pregroove following the groove of a CD disc, which is necessary- the pregroove is one giant land, and the burned parts are the pits.

This is unlike magnetic media where there aren't really any pre-existing structures exist on the diskette, just diskette drive conventions about how sectors and tracks are laid out, so it's up to the drive. lower-density media tends not to work so well when used as high-density media, particularly for 5-1/4" diskettes, but you could use a 1.2MB drive to format a 360K Diskette as a 1.2MB Diskette. I know because I did it ages ago without even knowing the disks were 360K because the drive was silent on the matter and "Format A:" Formatted as 1.2MB by default.

Interestingly, there was a short time where it was profitable for companies selling diskettes to market 1.44MB Floppies as 720K Diskettes, so there is a surprisingly good chance that, with the appropriate modifications to the diskette drive or the disk itself, a 720K diskette can be formatted as used as a 1.44MB Floppy diskette. I had a floppy diskette drive modified for this purpose back when it was cost-effective to purchase cheaper 720K diskettes, the infrared detection mechanism which looked for the little hole in 1.44MB Diskettes was removed and instead routed to a front panel switch. Meaning I could flip the switch and have a 720K diskette be detected as a 1.44MB diskette.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
Thanks BC for that info.... interesting read. And cool floppy mod.  ;D
I had a floppy diskette drive modified for this purpose back when it was cost-effective to purchase cheaper 720K diskettes, the infrared detection mechanism which looked for the little hole in 1.44MB Diskettes was removed and instead routed to a front panel switch. Meaning I could flip the switch and have a 720K diskette be detected as a 1.44MB diskette.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
Oh- before anybody thinks me capable of basic soldering, I should mention that I didn't actually mod it, when I received the PC the diskette drive was in (an old 386 Server that my High School CS teacher gave me), he had already modded it ages before.

I do have a soldering iron, wick, and solder spool, but the most complicated thing I've done so far is replace the save battery in a few game boy games.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.