Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Frustration at Dell T5400  (Read 4846 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Frustration at Dell T5400
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:49:46 PM »
Greetings.

I recieved a nice Precision T5400 Workforce machine and am struggling to find the correct Audio driver. it has a nice windows 7 Pro sticker key on it, yet Dell does not have windows 7 drivers. I tried the vista 64bit and xp drivers but no avail. I need Sound and i believe chipset too. Any suggestions where to look?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Frustration at Dell T5400
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
This is my best guess.  :)
If Dell can not help you, there is little anybody could say to help.
But, for what it is worth...
Consider using only the 32 bit version of Windows 7.
Reason: This is a Xenon CPU that might not be supported anymore. You might what to check ans see if it can support Windows 8.1 64 bit. If not, you have a machine that has limited support. The Xenon  in   that particular machine might not be fully 64 bit compliant. Test it with the Windows 8.1 64 bit compatibility test.
Here is one link:
http://www.intowindows.com/can-my-pc-run-windows-8-1-test-it-using-windows-8-1-upgrade-assistant/

If it fails the 64 bit test, you will have to stick with 32 bit.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:28:33 PM »
Thanks. but this is dumb. Turns out the only reason i couldnt find the kind of card is because my AMD gpu took over and in the bios the setting for onboard audio was set to off, making the onboard chip disapear in windows with my GPU. After changing that to on, the machine booted with audio. Thanks anyways.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
Sorry I made the wrong guess.
Never would have thought the GPU would turn off the audio!

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Geek 9Pm,

no need to apologize. I didnt realize it eaither so i didnt post my full specs. I got the machine used so it no longer had its quadro card. Instead i put in a nice used AMD HD 4580. So when i looked in the DEvice manager the audio hardware showed up as AMD. I was confused and then realized in the audio settings there was only the AMD card option. So i booted into BIOS and switched onboard Audio to "on" instead of "Auto"

Still appreciate everything this cite helps me with. Sometimes its the simplest of issues that make problems eh?