Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS RAM frequency  (Read 2934 times)

Rikkitic

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    BIOS RAM frequency
    « on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »
    This is a follow-up question to my previous Acer RAM mystery topic. I have two seemingly identical Acer T690 computers. One runs at 667 mHz with corresponding memory but the other is locked at 533 mHz. There is no setting in the BIOS to change this. Is there any other way to get it to work with the faster memory, such as a BIOS upgrade?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BIOS RAM frequency
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »
    Auto is the best choice. If  you have a choice.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:45 PM »
    Boot both systems and go into bios or pay attention to bios splash screen and look for bios version. If there is a difference between the one and the other then get the flash and flash utility and flash the bios to newer which may support the 667 mhz FSB. This is assuming both motherboards are the same exact make/model and rev boards.

NOTE: I have seen Acer use cheap bargain quality ECS and Foxconn boards for same model computer before. You might be looking at 2 computers that you think are identical but different boards driving them.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
    533 RAM cannot be speeded up as best i know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Rikkitic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:13:48 AM »
      533 RAM cannot be speeded up as best i know.
      It's not the RAM I am trying to speed up but the motherboard/BIOS itself. One will work at 667 mHz if it has the memory for that, the other won't go past 533 mHz regardless of the modules I use.

Rikkitic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:16:52 AM »
        Boot both systems and go into bios or pay attention to bios splash screen and look for bios version. If there is a difference between the one and the other then get the flash and flash utility and flash the bios to newer which may support the 667 mhz FSB. This is assuming both motherboards are the same exact make/model and rev boards.

NOTE: I have seen Acer use cheap bargain quality ECS and Foxconn boards for same model computer before. You might be looking at 2 computers that you think are identical but different boards driving them.
        I did check the mobos and they looked the same to me but there could be subtle differences. I do remember that the BIOS versions were different, though the years were the same. If I decide to flash the BIOS I will check again carefully first.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
        You could also run CPU-Z and see what the FSB is reporting on the system running the 667Mhz sticks, CPU-Z will show the actual FSB and tell you if that other system is running the sticks at 533  667 etc