Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc doesn't reliably turn on  (Read 2222 times)

needpchelp

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    pc doesn't reliably turn on
    « on: January 30, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
    hey, built a computer last year and for the first month or two it seemed to be working fine, but after that its started to not turn on. when i press the power button it will all light up and the fans will start turning and the AudioBoost chip on the motherboard lights up too but it never gets to the bios screen and my monitor just says no signal and then there is no way to turn it off apart from switching the psu off, but occasionally it will turn on and work fine but that's after a lot of attempts of turning it on and it not working and normally its a few days later

the hardware i have is:
    motherboard: msi 970 gaming
    cpu: fx-8350
    ram: 8gb corsair vengeance
    gpu: msi gtx 970 (and originally 1gb gigabyte gpu but it does the same thing with both cards)
    psu: corsair vs650

ive spoke to msi support and they told me to try clearing the CMOS which didn't do anything apart from the next time it did turn on it said that the cmos had been cleared and asked if i wanted to continue or go to setup
    they told me to take each component out and put it back in and test it one by one and it didnt do anything either and try all the ram slots one by one
    and they told me to unplug the cd drive and hard drive and try update the bios which didnt do anything or update
    so now they've told me to speak to the shop i bought the motherboard from, so i emailed them about an hour ago but i thought i would try a chatroom and i got told to post a thread on the forum because it would be easier

so does anyone have any ideas or help?

thanks,
    billy :)

needpchelp

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: pc doesn't reliably turn on
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 02:10:12 PM »
      so i managed to get it to turn on again and i tried the live update and updated everything rather than just trying to update the bios and this time it says the bios was updated so im going to try turning it on again tomorrow to see if it will still turn on okay :)

needpchelp

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: pc doesn't reliably turn on
        « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:36:29 PM »
        its been turning on okay for the past 2 days so i think it must of been a corrupt bios or something, it wouldn't update the bios until i updated msi live update though, so it could have been an issue with windows 10 maybe, but it all seems to be working okay now so thanks for the help on the live chat the other day :)