Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cybertron Desktops  (Read 2893 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Cybertron Desktops
    « on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
    Just saw a bunch advertised on the HH Gregg website. Looks like a 100% USA company with a good rep. I never heard of them but why would I since I have not bought a new desktop in over 9 years. Can anyone tell me how Cybertron compares to the old standards, eg Dell and HP? Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Cybertron Desktops
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
    I'd rather buy a HP or Dell in that order before a cybertron. Cybertron computers have been bargain price and they try to make it look like a really good deal such as putting in a i7 processor etc, but then they use value RAM and ECS or other cheap motherboard brand which I wouldnt trust. I'd rather buy an i5 HP or Dell vs an i7 cybertron and know that I'm getting quality parts vs a mix n match bargain with questionable quality. Their market is the people who only look at specs vs quality and so if you looking for the fastest for your money you might find faster in cybertron but then 1 or 2 years from now its dead with blown motherboard and the i5 HP or Dell are passing it and continue to work another 5 to 10 years.

Also cybertron is the gamer system for people to scared, lazy,  or unable to build their own with better quality parts.

With the HP you would need to convert an otherwise home or business grade computer into a gaming system with video card and possibly a power supply upgrade as well. Dell would also be the same unless going with their Gaming System product line that is ready to go out of the box as a gaming rig.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »
      I'd rather buy a HP or Dell in that order before a cybertron. Cybertron computers have been bargain price and they try to make it look like a really good deal such as putting in a i7 processor etc, but then they use value RAM and ECS or other cheap motherboard brand which I wouldnt trust. I'd rather buy an i5 HP or Dell vs an i7 cybertron and know that I'm getting quality parts vs a mix n match bargain with questionable quality. Their market is the people who only look at specs vs quality and so if you looking for the fastest for your money you might find faster in cybertron but then 1 or 2 years from now its dead with blown motherboard and the i5 HP or Dell are passing it and continue to work another 5 to 10 years.

Thanks Dave. I am asking for my SIL who has a very old, slow HP. I will get the specs so you will know what we have. She does very light weight stuff - some surfing and simple spreadsheets. Anything she gets will be light years better than her current state. I guess we will be looking at an entry level HP but maybe step-up if you can get a lot for a few extra bucks. Will post again tomorrow and hope you and others will give me a recommendation. Thanks again!

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
      Plenty of good quality inexpensive systems out there for a non-gamer. Biggest thing will be learning their way around the new OS and if they have a printer or scanner or other device that connects to the computer if there are drivers for it to work with newer OS. I have seen many people needing to replace their printer or scanner or even older digital camera that has internal storage because the devices are not supported for Windows 7 or newer for example for devices made for windows XP/Vista and prior.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
      a 100% USA company
      I don't think Cybertron computers, or the company for that matter, are any more "American" than HP or Dell. They are just a custom PC integrator.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
      a 100% USA company

I kind of laughed at that too since all the parts are likely manufactured outside of the USA with majority in China. Hopefully they are at least assembled in the USA and not just a sales office in the USA with a few employees for marketing and promotion of product.