Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Desktop Problems  (Read 3841 times)

mnhgolf

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Desktop Problems
    « on: February 07, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »
    A few days ago over half of the shortcuts on my desktop disappeared.  I have no idea what happened to cause this.  My user desktop folder still showed all of the shortcuts that were previously on the visual desktop.  When I attempted to recreate the missing shortcuts on my visual desktop I received an error message asking to rename the shortcut to "Shortcut" (2).

I deleted the shortcuts in my user desktop folder and created new ones on my visual desktop.  When I selected "align icons to grid" they all went to the first line at the top of my visual desktop.  When I tried to drag them back down they snapped back to the top.  When I selected "auto arrange icons" over half of them disappeared again.  In addition, when I tried to install Acronis True Image 16 the program would not complete the installation because it could not create a shortcut on my desktop.

I opened Windows PowerShell (Admin) and ran sfc /scannow.  The CBS.log file showed two corrupt files.  I don't remember which ones.  One was a .dll file and the other one was a .pri file.  I then did the following:
    Created a new folder in D:\ and named it “mount”
    Searched for "install.wim" on the Windows 10 DVD and copied it to D:\
    Opened Windows Powershell (Admin) - Copied and pasted each of the following lines one at a time and ran:

Dism /mount-wim /wimFile:D:\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:D:\mount
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:D:\mount\windows /LimitAccess
    Dism /unmount-wim /Mountdir:%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\mount /discard
    All of the commands ran successfully.
    I ran sfc /scannow and the CBS.log indicated there were no corrupt files.

The desktop problem is still the same.  I do not want to use System Restore at this point because I only have one old restore point.  I previously created a task to create a restore point each time Windows starts but it is not working (thus the reason for wanting to install Acronis).  I have spent two days since that point installing programs and tweaking numerous settings in Windows and the programs and do not want to lose all of that work.  I am unclear about what I will lose by trying to reinstall Windows from the installation DVD or trying to run the executable from within Windows.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

MNH

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Desktop Problems
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:55:54 PM »
    Some details. This is Windows 10, -right?
    Have you already made backups of Documents, Photos, Music and other things that you either created or received?
    Besides the Win 10 install DVD, do you have install media for all your programs?

Also, have you another user account?  Do you see the same issues in another user account?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB Desktop Problems
    « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:26:02 AM »
    Check the resolution setting in display properties. It sounds as though the icons are there, but off the visual screen. Change to a higher resolution and see what happens. Also, look in device manager. Are there any yellow or red marks next to your display adapter entry?