Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Stutter  (Read 2599 times)

TinglyCourier

Sound Stutter
« on: November 21, 2005, 07:49:46 PM »
Dell Dimension 4550
Intel Pentium 2.4Ghz
1GB RAM
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
ATi Radion 9600 SE 128Mb RAM
Plextor PlexWriter Premium CD burner
AOpen 16x DVD ReWriter
Maxtor 60GB HD
WesternDigital 120GB HD

I have a real problem with sound stuttering lately. It is most noticeable while playing majosr battle scenes in games like Call of Duty 2. The problem first appeared after I installed my new AOpen DVD burner. I don't think the burner is the problem as much as maybe the trigger for the problem. The reason I don't believe that it's the DVD player directly is because I'm still getting the stutter when playing the games directly from my HD without a disc. I have tried changing my sound acceleration both in the game and on the PC itself, I've updated all drivers and firmware, checked the soundcard configuration, even used Creatives suggestions, all with no luck. any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 07:58:42 PM by TinglyCourier »

Gustaaf

Re: Sound Stutter
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:07:44 AM »
Is the sound-card integrated or a ADD-on ?

If ADD-on:
Try re-seatting (alternate PCI slot) the sound card away from the Video card.

If built-in:
Try re-assigning the IRQ reservations in the BIOS.
Give the sound card (if possible) its own IRQ channel.

Third:
Try stabilizing your DVD device  with all four screws into the chasis. Do this for the HD too.

TinglyCourier

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 07:59:37 AM »
I have tried everything you have suggested so far except physically moving the sound card, simply because of time issues, I haven't had any time yet, LOL. My only question is, why would my sound card suddenly develope an issue to being parked next to my video card after being there for so long? If this dosen't work, what else might I try?

Thanks,
TinglyCourier

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 02:42:23 PM »
    I would say your sound card isnt all that good for these games or has developed a fault. I have seen this lots of times before where they suddenly develope this fault. I would suggest getting an Creative Audigy 2 sound card. They are more expensive but i have had mine 3 years and no problems.
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 02:43:24 PM by Frankie »

Gustaaf

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:10:37 AM »
    Reason for moving the Sound-card:

1) ** OCASIONALLY ** A PCI bus itself develops a problem.
    2) The video card and first 2-3 PCI slots make use of the North-bridge CPU on the main board.
    3) Causes windows to re-load / re-detect the drivers.

Moving it away to the lowest PCI slot available will cause the sound card to work on the south-bridge CPU on the main board.

Another tip:
    TEST 1) Remove the SP/DIFF audio cable connector between the sound-card and DVD device if attached.

Re-install DirectX 10.x