Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Firewall automatically DELETE's "New Rules" after a system re-boot??!  (Read 4167 times)

my247inbox

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Heres what I am trying to do...
    Block programs from accessing the internet with windows firewall.

And heres how...

1. Open windows Firewall.
    2. Click Advanced Settiings
    3. Click Inbound Rules
    4. Click New Rule

Then...

5. Select Program and CLick next
    6. Select Browse and locate the exe. file that you want to block then Click Next.
    7. Then Select Block Connection then click Next.
    8. Select Domain, Public, Private and then click Next.
    9. Give it a NAME and press FINISH!

then by doing the exact same for Outbound Connections.

Then Voila! That exe file or program should be BLOCKED from accessing the internet!

My problem is that I can make or create these Inbound and Outbound Rules but Windows is AUTOMATICALLY Deleting them upon a system re-boot??!!

Argh...

Also I tried to BLOCK all OUTBOUND connections and was just going to make a whitelist of programs that I would allow internet access by doing the same method as mentioned above except I would select ALLOW connection as opposed to Block connection.

BUT....

I just tried that by Opening Windows Firewall and by clicking "Advanced Settings"

then...

By Clicking "Windows Firewall Properties"

Then...

For OUTBOUND Connections Selecting "BLOCK" as opposed to "ALLOW"- (Windows default setting)

Then I wanted to test it so I re boot my Laptop and Opened my browser (firefox) and It was up running connected to the internet, showing my homepage. (Google) lol...

I dont get it???

Please Help, much appreciated!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Is this a computer that is a decommissioned business computer or a work computer which might have a group policy override happening?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Great insight...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "