Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Advice on my build  (Read 2551 times)

Dragonoffire

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Advice on my build
    « on: March 19, 2016, 12:57:19 PM »
    So I'm making a moderate gaming pc. My friends/family have bought me peices here and there. But, I don't think a lot of them knew much. So, right now I have three parts:
    My ram:HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model HX318C10FBK2/16
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104461&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

My Graphics card: MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 R9 390 GAMING 8G 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

And my case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139043&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Now, I need a motherboard, a CPU, and a power supply. I would like to use these parts. And, I'm trying to keep the cost of the Motherboard + CPU about $200-300. The power supply I'm willing to pay what ever is needed.

Any advice is very helpful.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Advice on my build
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
    The newest Skylake CPUs are designed to support either DDR4 or 1.35v DDR3 so the RAM you have won't work with them so you'd need to go for an older (but still very decent) Devil's Canyon chip.  In your budget you can probably get an i5-4690 or i5 4690k (required if you want to overclock) but if that is too expensive you could go down to something like an i5-4590.

For these chips you would want to look at motherboards with the Z97 (required for overclocking) or H97 (which is cheaper but doesn't support overclocking),  Stick to decent brands of board such as Gigabyte or ASUS.

For the power supply - Your video card is pretty power hungry so you'd want to go for something around the 650w mark.  Something like the 650w EVGA G2 would be a great value option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054&cm_re=evga_g2_650-_-17-438-054-_-Product

Dragonoffire

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »
      And for the motherboard, if I go with the Z97, what would be the best version of windows to run? I couldn't find a recommend version.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:40:04 PM »
      Just run whatever you prefer, I'd probably go for Windows 10 since it's a new build but it's not like there's an "optimal" version for a given motherboard.

xfiles63

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:48:41 AM »
        Unless Asus has changed the quality control Ive found most of that Asus boards Ive purchased to be a bit on the flaky side,Gigabit And Biostar make decent boards and what I have had my best luck with.Also ASROCK has some very decent boards that Ive used in builds.Just stay away from there cheap line.My strategy for picking out a mother board is to go in between the least and the most expensive if Im on a tight budget.I would also read product reviews before making a decision to pick out a mother board.
        Power supply would go with 450-500 watts and there are several quality brands out there.
        Depending on what your budget is your going to pay more for Intel chip that you will AMD.That doesnt AMD is inferior to INTEL its just a matter of preference.
        I hope that my advice helps and Good luck with your build.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
        Been doin this quite awhile...i'd like to see some documentation on ASUS MBoards bein flakey...
        And i'd never recommend Biostar for the same stated reason...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "