Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running a master and slave sata hard drive  (Read 3999 times)

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Running a master and slave sata hard drive
    « on: March 24, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
    Is there anyway with sata hard drives that you can run a master and slave abd be able to dual boot into them with two seperate desk tops like you can with eide hard drives?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Running a master and slave sata hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
    SATA doesn't use (or need) a master/slave configuration. You can certainly dual boot if you want to with SATA drives - just install the older OS first to make things easier on yourself.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
      I can dual boot yes but one hard drive has win 7 and the other win 7.I supposed I can do c lone from one hard drive to the other if someone can walk me through it.Ive never done a clone or mirror image.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »
      Buying a $50 drive duplicator is the best / easiest method of cloning a drive of same size or cloning a smaller drive to a larger drive. *Biggest concern with a drive duplicator is to make sure you have the drives placed into the correct A & B slots so that your not cloning a empty drive overtop of a drive with the system build to it as for drive duplicators perform a bit for bit replication and so it has no problem erasing an important hard drive with the empty one that is full of many 0's and very few 1's and ruin your day.

Windows 7 has a FREE backup image feature, but I havent used it from one drive to another for internal drives yet direct such as if its even possible to split the 2nd drive into 2 partitions and create an image to one partition and then pass that image to another partition on the same drive with this utility. It might not be possible, but I havent tried that. The problem is that the 2nd drive is probably the one that you want to have an exact copy of windows 7 running on and it would just put the image file on this drive. A 3rd drive is likely needed to perform the Windows backup image thats built into 7. I use an external hard drive through USB that is larger than the capacity of the drive to be imaged. I make sure no other data is on this external and then I go through the process. In the end you have an image of Windows 7 on an external drive. You also need to create a bootable Windows 7 repair disc. As for you boot off of the Windows 7 repair disc and then you perform the restore through that pointed at the external which then pushes the image to the internal. You dont want to have both internal drives installed through this process as for having one drive installed only makes it easier to not wipe out the original drive with what could be a bad image if there were any problems with its creation.

If you want to duplicate one drive to another internally without use of a 3rd drive, you could use an image utility like Ghost or Macrium or another clone utility. Not sure if any of the free or trial editions still allow you to clone or not. Biggest thing to pay attention to through the process is to keep track of the Source Drive and Destination Drive. If you get them backwards with some image utilities it will copy an empty hard drive overtop of a drive with the data, wiping out your build!!!  ;D

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:37:25 AM »
      Macrium Reflect is a good Free choice as Dave mentioned...another one also is Easus ToDo...also has a Free version.

Not sure why you wanna clone 1 Win7 HDD to another Win7 HDD...a bit unclear on that.

Also need to mention...as to the Master/Slave designation re: SATA HDD's on some older boards for that to work master should be in SATA slot 0 or 1 on the MBoard and for slave SATA 3 or higher.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:25:57 AM »
        The reason why I want to clone one hard drive to another is one of computers mother boards failed.So installed it into another computer that already had a legal copy of 64 bit Win 7.
        The 2 hard drives are of different sizes,1 is a 200gb and the other is a 1tb.
        So both hard drives are installed in the same computer and what I will do is boot into the hard drive and go into user files to access my data.So cloning the data on that drive to the 200gb is what I want to do.The 1 tb drive also has a legal copy of win 7 on it.
        If I lose my os on the 1tb I have no other product key
        As far as making a back up disk of the 1st hard drive for some reason I cant burn the image onto a disk using a dvd-rw.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
        Not neccessary...all you have to do to retrieve all your data from the PC with failed board is connect that HDD as a slave to a working PC...All your data will be there.

Windows does NOT have to be able to run on the failed MBoard HDD to get your data.

xfiles63

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 09:50:17 AM »
          Failed mother board has been trashed already.The drives was in a Dell 760 machine that I had upgraded.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:56:18 AM »
          That's irrelevant...re-read above Post...