Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Office program  (Read 3360 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Microsoft Office program
    « on: April 24, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
    I had a computer with Vista and I finally put it in computer heaven.  I bought a new Dell, Windows 10, I-5-4460 CPU @ 3.20 GHz, RAM 8.00 GB, 1T something.  I had Microsoft Office 2007 on it and when the place I took it to for them to put all my old stuff on the new computer, the Microsoft Office 2007 got lost in the workings.  Since it is so expensive to buy, I have been looking on ebay for a Microsoft Office program.  My question is (since there are so many of them), are they legitimate?  I saw Office 2010 for $29.99, Office 2010 for three computers which said something about they copy them and are packaged to ship without damage, but not the same Microsoft packaging for $39.99, I saw some with Master Key Code included, and since I'm not all that computer smart, I thought I should get someone else's opinion before I buy one.  I really can't afford the $100.00+ ones as I'm in remission from pancreatic cancer and doing really well, except I get little glitches every now and then I have to pay for (like right now I have become anemic and have to do weekly iron shots), so I always have these stupid medical bills.  If I'm looking, what should I look for in the description, or should I not look on ebay at all?  Thanks for your help!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Microsoft Office program
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
    If they are that cheap...they are NOT legit...
    Try Libre' Office...Free and 100% compatible with MS Office.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »
    Microsoft set the pricing on Office, if someone is selling it ridiculously cheap they are going to be selling a fake copy.  Always buy stuff like that from a reputable retailer like Amazon (being careful to get it directly from Amazon and not a marketplace seller) or from the Microsoft store directly.

If money is tight the other option is Office 365 which is Microsoft's subscription service which you can get for $9.99 a month, of course you never get the software outright, if you don't pay for a month the software won't work, but it doesn't require the initial outlay that buying a copy of office outright would.

Where did the copy of Office 2007 come from?  Can you not reinstall that?

Also, as Patio said, LibreOffice is a free alternative to Microsoft Office which can be used for basically the same stuff, it can open and save files in the Office formats as well so that won't be an issue.  To me it doesn't feel as polished as MS Office but it's free so certainly worth a go before you fork out for full MS Office.  You can download it here: https://www.libreoffice.org/

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
      No, the Office 2007 was someone else's they put on my old machine.  I called them and asked them about it and they no longer have it unfortunately.  I have Office 2000 and could install that.  Seems rather old, doesn't it?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:28:30 PM »
      Yeah, Office 2000 is too old to really be useful nowadays.  At that point you would be better off with LibreOffice.