Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Semi new build, No post, no power to keyboard, no display  (Read 3712 times)

nickdangelo61

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Hey everyone!

semi new build(upgraded mobo), after installing everything, the pc will not post, I am not getting any power to the keyboard/mouse and the psu fan as well as other fans seem to be running kind of sluggish. Previously I had an issue where the hdd light would stay constant however that was solved with reseating the cpu a few times and resetting the cmos.

specs are found here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/ccjfsY

Also, previous motherboard fried after plugging in earphones to front header. Could the psu have gone as well? Tested the new mobo today with known working ram and graphics card to no avail, so I have ruled those out.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help! Semi new build, No post, no power to keyboard, no display
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »
    Nickdangelo6, This is not a direct answer to your problem with you new build. Instead, I am going to talk about how to approach your vendor and ask for help with doing return on an item the did not work ever.

Just tell the vendor that you have worked with personal computers parts before and you have friends that advice you. Tell them you were very careful when putting things together and used only compatible things.

Do not mention anything that might even suggest you did anything wrong. Because you did not do anything wrong.

Be polite and talk in a manner that shows you are confident and want the vendor to arrange for a way to replace the bad board.

I do hope that will help you.  :)

Brethren2k

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:07:31 AM »
      I completely agree with Geek-9pm about making sure you don't eat the cost of a motherboard because of a misconstrued sentence on an RMA. As far as your power supply, in most cases they are all or nothing. However, the easiest way to check is to use a paperclip on the ATX power connector and try to power something. I typically use an old IDE hard drive I don't care about or a LED light strip. You can get fancy with a meter to test output but not everyone has one laying around. The other thing that stands out is a motherboard shorting out from plugging something into the front I/O. Those boards typically have a small ground wire running to the frame of the case - some actually ran a ground wire all the way to the motherboard front I/O headers but I haven't seen that method in years. Give everything a good look over and make sure the motherboard is seated on the standoff's properly and everything is completely plugged in securely. I had a front I/O USB 3.0 port that was not grounded properly in the past / case wasn't properly grounding and the entire frame held an electrical current. I left it that way - best intrusion system ever.

Here's a good image of the paperclip trick.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 03:55:38 PM »
      This (old) picture shows an old 20 pin, newer are 24 pins. ( Just stating so that they dont count over the wrong way and cross 2 wrong pins.)

http://www.motherboards.org/images/articles/guides/24-pin.jpg

nickdangelo61

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
        I know this is late, but I am going to return the mobo tomorrow, hopefully it will clear up some issues, I need my pc back!!