Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My custom computer  (Read 3150 times)

flamingpyroxxx

My custom computer
« on: November 24, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »
Ive decided that with the money i get from christmas (and probably some i will have to work for, since i probably wont get enough from christmas alone) to build a computer. What kind of motherboard should i get? AMD, or Intel compatible? and what kind of socket? a socket 939?  im more familiar with Intel, but i want what is best. The computer is mainly going to be for Gaming and graphic/game design.

Edit: i just checked and if i got a 939 i would have to go with AMD...should i? and i just found a MOBO i might use...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136165

If i get an Athlon 64 processor, does that HAVE to be 64 bit?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 05:42:39 PM by flamingpyroxxx »

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: My custom computer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 06:51:59 PM »
From what I hear AMD processors are good for games. To check if they support 64 bit go to http://www.AMD.com or http://www.Intel.com check the processor you want to see its specifications. You can also use www.lavalys.com  to see what your processor can do. Its is a unique free utility. You can try it on your computer to check it out.

Mystik1982*

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:42:49 AM »
You said graphic design?  Intel then.  AMD processors suck for mathematical things.  Don't go AMD if you're doing graphic design, however for the games they are a lot better.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 09:06:07 AM »
This is patently false...
If AMD processors are no good at mathematics how on earth could they run games ? ?
:-/ :-/

patio. 8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mystik1982*

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 12:08:31 PM »
Go ahead then let them buy the AMD processor.  They'll love it for gaming but it will fall short on the graphic design aspect in comparison to the Intel.  

Either processor will be fine in all seriousness though, I was just pointing it out.  Just like if you buy the intel then your gaming won't be as good as if you get the AMD.  If only there was a processor out there that could do better than the both of them.  It's not anything that will be extremely noticeable but it is there.  It's all personal preference really, when it all comes down to it.  

grazhopper

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »
if it helps at all, I'm building a computer soon and I'm going with an AMD athlon 3700+, from what I've read they are better, but being relatively new to building computers, I could be wrong

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 09:58:35 PM »
Go ahead then let them buy the AMD processor.  They'll love it for gaming but it will fall short on the graphic design aspect in comparison to the Intel.  

Either processor will be fine in all seriousness though, I was just pointing it out.  Just like if you buy the intel then your gaming won't be as good as if you get the AMD.  If only there was a processor out there that could do better than the both of them.  It's not anything that will be extremely noticeable but it is there.  It's all personal preference really, when it all comes down to it.  

This is also patently false....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »
A trend of heresay. The force is not strong in this one.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 01:18:55 PM »
    Don't let the Mystik name fool you, this one has a logical mind & the force will grow. :)