Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't move,delete, copy or rename file  (Read 7325 times)

Anthony_G

Can't move,delete, copy or rename file
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:36:19 PM »
I have a H-P N53210 Laptop with the standard Windows ME 4.90.3000. I seem to have picked up something strange. I have a file on my desktop which I cannot move, delete, copy or rename. Specifically (substitiute each function): "Error moving file or folder. Cannot move file: The file name you have specified is invalid or too long. Specify a different filename." I can move it around the desktop but I can't move it into another file. Also it is linked to "My Computer" for some reason. All I want to do is get rid of it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

merlin_2

Re: Can't move,delete, copy or rename file
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:24:23 AM »
you can try opening a new folder and drag it into it then delete it and re-boot has it gone?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 05:18:26 AM »
He cannot move the file, Merlin.

There is a post concerning your error somewhere on the forum. Maiktous wrote it. Search for it.

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »
Right click on the icon and select properties to see what path and program it points to. Locate the program and delete it. Check your startup folder and delete any references to it there. If you get an error message saying the file is in use, boot to safe mode and do it from there.

Anthony_G

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »
Thanks for the help. It was the strangest thing. there it was sitting as a .zip folder on the desktop. Open it and then the file and it took me straight to "My Computer". Somehow, although I am sure I had tried to delete it this way before, I managed to delete the file. Then I ran a cleaner on the desktop and it took a full 15 minutes to work the folder out of the system. Did the same for the R. bin and the recent. But it finally went. Thanks again. Safe mode deletion didn't have any effect on it. It did not want to leave. I wonder if it was some virus or worm or something. Nothing showed infected.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 02:15:57 PM »
had a file like that once that would not delete and used the new folder trick it worked for me...