Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need new laptop for editing photos  (Read 2313 times)

Snowcap

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Need new laptop for editing photos
    « on: June 28, 2016, 03:10:40 PM »
    Have old Dell laptop.  Work with Lightroom 5 and Elements 14.  I'm retired living on fixed income.  Not professional photographer but am good.  Have about 650 -$700 dollars to spend.  Research kind of shows ASUS to be popular system.  I need 64bit, 8gig ram minimum, ips or crt display, I hope dedicated graphics card and anything else you may think of (I'm sure I forgot something)  Current computer very slow and hangs up from time to time.  Is there a big difference between a dedicated graphics card and integrated.  That seems to make a big difference in cost.

Thank You

Snowcap

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Need new laptop for editing photos
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:06 PM »
    You will get better graphics performance in the higher end video card vs integrated video, however if your only editing photos and never videos etc, integrated is probably plenty especially if going with Intel CPU system that has an APU where the GPU is part of the CPU of a Core i3, i5, i7 etc. If your going with AMD system to cut costs you would want to have a graphics card vs integrated.

64-bit and 8GB RAM is just about the standard of todays new computers. Just check the stats to make sure it had 8GB or more. There are still some systems for sale with 4GB RAM which you could accidentally buy if you dont catch that its 4GB and not 8GB. Especially in lower cost computer.

Are you having to buy a IPS or CRT or do you already own this hardware?

Your budget works fine for a decent computer if not having to buy other hardware or software. A nice Intel system can be bought with $700 USD.

Are you interested in a Desktop at all or strictly only laptops? You can get more for your money in a desktop system for processing power/cost ratio.

Snowcap

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
      First, thanks for replying.  I do appreciate it.  I will be going with a laptop and don't have a stand alone monitor.  The reason I would like a CRT or IPS display is everything I read indicates I'll get much truer colors.  I know some of my photos can be improved if I can feel like I'm getting the colors, or close to it, of what I saw when photos were taken.

Again, thank you very much

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:40 AM »
      Not sure if you ever seen a Color Calibrator before, but at a prior IT job I had to support graphic artists and one of them needed to know that what they see on their display is what their pictures will look like with correct color tones etc. I got then a spyder color calibrator and it made what they see on their computer display be exactly what others would see as high quality and color perfect pictures. You might be able to get by with the laptops display and just calibrating it to be correct. Here is more info: http://spyder.datacolor.com/display-calibration/?gclid=CJyRo_PPzc0CFUxZhgod-VUNZA

Your budget is pretty tight now that you need a laptop + other hardware. Would you be able to get by with a laptop and then a spyder calibrator maybe or do you need a larger display and thats why you want a CRT or IPS?

Snowcap

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:52:32 AM »
        Not sure if I explained myself with the initial entry so my apologies.  I don't feel like I need a separate monitor and hopefully can do a very good job with just the laptop.  I'm aware of the calibration thing though I have never done.  Did research on but didn't think I'd be able to do the calibration.  So to answer the last response I will be getting laptop only, no other hardware.  I think I'm now leaning towards an integrated card with the additional research I have completed.

Any suggestions you might be willing to provide re: a laptop would be greatly appreciated.  And again, thank you to everyone who has been attempting to help me.