Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't open up word doc  (Read 3124 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Can't open up word doc
    « on: November 27, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
    Hi,

A friend of mine's laptop has got troubled with opening a word doc. This usually happens when she tried to open up the doc as an attachment on the email sent by people. So what happens is that she did as everyone i think would do that is double-click on the attached file that happend to be .doc. An error message was pop up saying (i can't remember what she said it was) something like can't open word doc. To resolve or be able to open the file is she actually has to go start -> all programs -> microsoft office -> word doc, then she can open the file from there.

Is there something wrong there? or is it normal?
    What should i do? i mean this happened before and i helped her to re-install the office XP because i thought the link might be missing there that caused the windows unable to open doc.

Thank you very much and look forward to hearing from you

Mac

Can't open up word doc
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 02:57:21 PM »
    Maybe the document is restricted in Outlook Express...

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      Re: Can't open up word doc
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
      Thank you Mac

hmm... Not sure if she was reading her emails thru outlook express. But i think it was thru the webmail. And if you try to open the attached file thru the webmail, you'd usually be prompted whether to save or open or cancel it. The problem arose when she clicked on the open button. It just wouldn't let her open it from there. But the only way to open it is to save it first somewhere on the local comp and then open the file via winword.exe (start->all programs->office->word document).

Any ideas? Thank you in advance

Mac

Can't open up word doc
      « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:01:07 AM »
      Her Webmail may well have the same restriction.

I generally save attachments and scan them for virii before opening.

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 02:09:08 AM »
      And, her antivirus, malware or other scanners may be preventing opening these documents.

Temporarily disable all the scanners and see if it solves the problem.  If so, restart each one until the problem reoccurs.  The last restarted will be the scanner preventing the files.

Dell

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:51:44 PM »
        Ok, I'll check that with her again.

Thanks a lot guys for being very very helpful.