Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP pc ps2 ,but other installed application' prompt to update sp & security ?  (Read 9546 times)

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Even after a PC recovery my PC says that I have service packs two or sp2 update ,but while trying to installing most any applications, exe's , ATI catalyliist  display control I will get a prompt message that I need to update my service packs & XP updates too  ??? I know that Microsoft ended XP  support, but I noticed they still have most all kinds of  XP related applications that should work with my older programs that I'm trying to run once more ? I believe during my PC crash recovery that during Recovery that I was installed some shortcut like hotfix service packs or instead of a Standalone updates which are to be better to have ? I have check for 1.0 ,2.0 ,3.5 Net Framework folders which I do have, but I notice that when I went to Amdmistrive tools I though I remember seeing a listing of Net Framework 1.0 & 1.1 install or repair select option.  Which seems to give myself another clue that my PC is not updated to SP2 as found on my PC performance user tag now ?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Open an explorer window...go to Help/About Windows...
It'll tell you which SP's are installed...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

Update: Yes,That what I see as XP SP2, But why do older applications programs prompt to say that I need to update SP2 which I'm sure there can be another S.Pack3 update to install ? I forgot to mention that I have a net framework 1.1 located in my program files ,but no more than that ! Should I have 1.0, 2.0, 2.2 & 3.5sp1 or even more of these kind of Net Framework files located in my program files & installed too ? I still believe when my XP Media ctr. crashed & I used system recovery that I feel that not everything was updated to Framework 3.5 Sp2 as shown  :-\

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
The .net frameworks aren't cumulative so go ahead and install them up to 3.5

Also see here :   http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_windows_xp_service_pack_3.html

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

I need to uninstall my recent net framework 3.5 ps3 for to install net framework 1.0- sp1,sp2,sp3 / 1.1 -sp1, sp2, sp3 / 2.0-sp1,sp2 sp3 / 2.0-sp1,sp2 sp3, / 3.0-sp1,sp2,sp3 / 3.5-sp1,sp2,sp3 / A reminder that I'm trying to fix installation issues & pc gameplay operational functions back on my XP media center edition 32 bit  05' desktop. Not much more than that ,but thought about using one of my two extra Vista Home Basic desktops instead incase I can't improve on fixing my XP issues, but not sure if Vista are up for the older pc gameplay software installs  ::)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
For what it is worth...
About two month ago I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP-3 on my Dell desktop. I then installed some programs I normally use, such ans SyncToy
 There are a number of Framework versions that I had to have. Here is an screenshot attachment of the files listed in the remove programs tool.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

I guess Im running out time with all this, but I'm in for finding & fixing this ongoing complex series of net framework & upgrades to be able to install / run program software once again. I will have to try your srceen shot m.n.fw install pattern & see what happens. Microsoft has alot of the XP service packs & other updates downloads which I have downloaded earler that are ready for action Strange also, that on my Acer Vista PC after a reinstall earlier has a similar problem saying I need 3.5 ps3 to be able to install program software too ! Since Vista still has windows update option my PC has installed everything up to 3.5 sp1 ,but will not install anymore net frameworks after that ? I throwing one stone to knock down two microsoft net framework issues being one for XP & Vista  :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Just follow the advice given and install all of them 1 at a time...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Since Vista still has windows update option my PC has installed everything up to 3.5 sp1 ,but will not install anymore net frameworks after that ?

Windows Update does not install new versions of .NET, it will only update existing versions. Only certain versions can run the software written for other versions of Windows.

You have to install any other versions you want/need through other means- either as part of another install or yourself.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

update: I have downlloaded most every net framework from 1.0,1.1,2.0,3.0,3.5,4.0 which was for .x86 & XP sp1 to sp3, but was able to install 1.0,1.1 hotfix no standalone versions avalible that I could see ? I could not get any of the 2.0 Net FWorks to install,but I do have a Microsoft N.FWorks combined 2.0,3.0,3.5 sp1 set-up version. I tried to install this combined 2,3,3.5 sp1,but got an alert prompt needing to downlaod some other runtime version for it to install ? I have 3 runtime versions 2005, 2008,2010 C++ already installed , but do I need a newer version maybe too ? I don't how I got in Windows 10 section hope that dose not slow this thread down on finding my net framework issues  :o

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Only certain versions can run the software written for other versions of Windows.

Correction: I meant to say "other versions of .NET" here, not Windows.

Let's start here:

but while trying to installing most any applications, exe's , ATI catalyliist  display control I will get a prompt message that I need to update my service packs & XP updates too

Run one of the affected programs and provide the *exact* error message you receive. eg. ATI Catalyst Control Center.

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

The ATI C.C. prompt appears (only) at start-up says, I need 2.0 framework to use ATI Catalyist Control go to microsoft download site then install. Option: Could I just purchase a Ebay new XP professinal sp2 upgrade disc to bring most all the OS updates back for my XP PC to work correctly once again ? I'm using this XP Media Ctr.Edition online as I type ths message thinking It will work without a browser that still supports XP but found out there is more to it than just getting online. This XP here was to be used for playing 2000-11"gameplay PC games & nothing much more than that. I have two other Vista PC's at the ready, but was hoping to try to update this XP to where it can install software & play once again :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
The message says "I need 2.0 framework to use ATI catalyist Control go to microsoft download site then install." Somehow I doubt that.

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

Yes,might be hard to believe ,but I see it at every start up just after the desktop loads then, I close it or ok it after. Spent alot of time trying to install any or all XP related framework HotFix's,set-up's,updates 2.0-4.0,SP1-3  many types of Runtimes that I download from free Microsoft earlier. I tried trial & error install pattern method. Till I came to finally came to install the Net framework 4.0 Sp3 which my performance ID shows that I have Vista SP3 now ! Whats hard to believe is that the ATI Catalyst Control Center start up prompt reads, needs 2.0 net framework download from Microsoft site to run ATI Catalyst Control Ctr. still ! This XP sure runs well ,but I still need to test whats important to be able to install & run older Gameplay games in single mode. Being able to go online is just icing on the this XP  cake ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
Well what I wanted was the exact error message you received, rather than a paraphrasing of such. Though I was able to google it to find the specific error.

ATI Catalyst Control Center appears to require Framework 1.1 in addition to Framework 2.0. (Based on some searches) Offline redistributable for 1.1 is available here.

Note: I have an XP System setup for much the same purpose, which as it has an ATI Graphics Card, also uses ATI Catalyst Control center and the .NET Framework installations gave me no trouble. (I think I installed 1.1 immediately as it is on the Windows XP disc)