Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Does NOT work on Windows 10  (Read 48601 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Dragon NaturallySpeaking Does NOT work on Windows 10
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
To start, this document is being dictated with Dragon naturally speaking. However, I am using another version of Windows that works well with said product.
This speech recognition program I have used for several years and I have used different versions of it. Right now I am on version 11 and am quite happy with it.
Now the bad news. It has been widely reported that Dragon naturally speaking, even this version, will not work well on Windows 10. The parent company, Nuance, claims there is a workaround and that they are going to get it right eventually. They have had plenty of time to adjust their product to work with Windows 10. It's not as if Windows 10 just dropped on the scene instantly. Developers who had plenty of time to try their products on Windows 10.
So then why am I posting this negative rant. Because it is such a outstanding product many people will want to use Dragon Naturally Speaking instead of trying to put up with a mediocre speech recognition that's found in Windows 10. Sad to say, it's a bad combination.
This is not something I made up. I did some research on the subject before trying it out and came to the conclusion that I best stay away from trying to put it on Windows 10. It works good right now on my older XP system. But someday I am going to have to abandon Windows XP and move up either to Windows 7 or Windows 10. Now I would rather be able to go into Windows 10 because it has some outstanding features that I need. But good speech recognition is just not in Windows 10 at the present time.
So if you're thinking of purchasing Dragon Naturally Speaking, you may have tfor anything I've said that's untrueo make some major adjustments to your Windows 10 system if the company ever gets around to coming up with the patches needed. Otherwise, you'll have to use an older version of Windows, such as Windows 7.
If you have any doubts about the veracity of what I'm telling you, just go to their website and look around in their forum and you'll see people griping about it. But it's much further than that, there are complaints all over the Internet about the failure of the company to make the corrections needed to work with Windows 10.
So there you have it. It's a great product from a company that doesn't understand the importance of making software work with a modern operating system. They just don't get it.
If you have some information to the contrary and can document it, please reply to this post  and offer corrections to anything I said.
Now I am going to turn off microphone.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking Does NOT work on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:23:20 AM »
Your title is misleading, since you are specifically referring to a 5 year old version. Version 13 is supported on Windows 10. Version 11 supports up to Windows 7.

It's a great product from a company that doesn't understand the importance of making software work with a modern operating system. They just don't get it.

Version 13 had a point release in September 2015  alongside the release of 14, which added Windows 10 support. Version 13 and Version 14 are fully supported on Windows 10- there are some caveats because Microsoft has not published accessibility APIs for UWP, (so it doesn't work so well with Edge and UWP/Modern Apps) but there isn't anything to be done on their end as that's Microsoft's decision to be the sole proprietor of narration and dictation technologies under their Universal Platform.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17805/~/information-on-dragon-naturallyspeaking-13-and-windows-10
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 03:41:35 AM »
BC_Programmer,
  Thank you for the reply. I welcome anything you have to offer about this subject. If the issue is Microsoft not  making the API more transparent, so bit it.

Users have complained that Nuance has not done the right thing. Yes, most of the gripes are from last year.  It is hard to find a clear response from Nuance.
I found this:
https://www.quora.com/Does-Dragon-NaturallySpeaking-12-5-work-with-Windows-10
Dragon 12 and Dragon Medical Practice Edition 2 (European Version) are not officially supported by Nuance on Windows 10 (and for Office 2016), so if you want to be super safe, don't install it on Windows 10. There is a small risk that you will be required to buy an upgrade if there is a problem. If that is a deal breaker for you, stop here.

The above says it does work, but casts some doubt. 
I am hoping somebody will come forth and offer prof that the new versions of DBS work good with Windows 10. So far, it is hard to find.
What follows is date this year and is very negative.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/nuance.html
When I found your site, I was amazed at all the people who have had the same issues with Nuance Dragon 13 that I have had. I have used version 12 before, but upgraded a year or 2 ago, and have not been able to properly use it since. (I had to remove the version 12 before installing the 13. I think my original was a download to get it quicker.) It just does not seem to configure properly, and after hours of trying, I just give up for a few months. Using Windows 10, and I see here that it is just not compatible. It is really sad that they do not stand behind their products because I would really like to be able to use it.
The other comments are even worse.  The are gripes made in 2016. Elsewhere it was said it would be fixed late 2015. 
Here is a grip published  in April 2016.
DO NOT BUY DRAGON NATURALLY SPEAKING 13.0 FOR WINDOWS 10. The two are not compatible regardless of what Nuance claims. And they cannot fix the problems. .... 

As i mentioned, I like the product, but I fear I will never be able to use it on Windows 10 until they do a major overhaul of something.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:12:12 AM »
You can find those sorts of complaints about pretty much any product. Either people complain that an older unsupported product does not work on the latest release, or they encounter problems installing the latest version and assume it is a compatibility issue.

First complaint is about Version 12 which did not support Windows 10, as it was released in 2012.

Second complaint is one complaint agreeing with other complaints but providing no detail beyond "I can't use it". People have issues installing otherwise compatible software all the time. I had to try 5 times dealing with arbitrary meaningless error codes on this system to upgrade to Windows 10, for example, and while trying to install a store App I've seen completely blank dialog boxes with no text at all that then prompt "Do you want to cancel" when I click The close button. These are presumably exceptions to the rule eveni f I can find countless postings of other people with the same issue because nobody posts on support forums that "Everything is working fine" Nobody looks for a site like "consumeraffairs" to leave glowing positive reviews.

As far as personal experience with DNS I obviously don't have any. Though the links don 't demonstrate that it doesn't work; you can find similar complaints about effectively any software product. For example Visual Studio 2008 is claimed to not work on Windows 10 in much the same manner- because people can't install it. And yet I've had it installed without issue.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
Again, I am doing some dictation.
I have used the following phrase to search on Google.

install dragon naturallyspeaking on WIndows 10

The first responses shown by Google are either directly from the Nuance website or our other articles published last year. This is disturbing. Since last year up till now you would think that Nuance would publish more recent information about installing their product on Windows 10. Instead, older articles are still being found by the search engine. I would think that if they have found a good solution to the problem that existed a year ago, they would have consulted with Google and advised him to use the more recent information when answering the search phrase I have posted above.
In fact, one of the things that shows up in the search is actually an article written by Nuance last year and there is a notation that indicates it has been recently reviewed.
At the present time, the home version of the product is number 13. In current advertisements version 14 is for professional use and is quite a bit more expensive than the home version. Still, even if I were to shell out money for version 14, I would be concerned about getting adequate support for the product from Nuance. The information on their website should be more up to date and reflect the current state of affairs.
So, I'm going to wait and see if anybody else can come up with some positive information that will indicate to me that there is a way of using Dragon NaturallySpeaking home version on Windows 10 without having some very significant problems.
And yes, I do agree with you. I agree with the issue about users not making full use of the resources they have available. Just recently I had to reinstall version 11 on my computer and order to do that properly and to pick a different program directory for Dragon NaturallySpeaking and at the same time I registered my product and got myself a proper username. I don't recall if I had received a username before or not, I couldn't find anything in my records. Anyhow, with a new registration and a new username and installing in a different directory the program came up and worked right the first time in Windows XP. I am talking about version 11 for home use.
As you mentioned, version 13, the one that is being currently advertised on Amazon for home use, was released about the same time that Windows 10 was released. Unfortunately after one year of Windows 10 the still seems to be some issue with even version 13. Hopefully they will update information on their own website to indicate that the problem has been fully resolved. However, as you have mentioned, there is something that Microsoft needs to do to make the Windows 10 API work better with third-party programs. Since I am no longer active in commercial programming, I can only guess at what that could mean.
One last note. all the above is from dictation using version 11 on my XP partition. Any typos or grammatical errors are from direct dictation into either notepad or the computer Hope reply box. I have left intact any of the errors of spelling and grammar to illustrate the power of this product. It is excellent. Quite often speech recognition programs have error rates above 2%. If you were to count the number of words I dictated here and compare it to the typos or bad words, you would see that on average Dragon is doing better than 1% accuracy. In my opinion, that is excellent. I really do hope that they will make it work good with Windows 10 before I have to switch over everything to Windows 10.
End of rant.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:23:05 PM »
Then get the updated version.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
there is something that Microsoft needs to do to make the Windows 10 API work better with third-party programs.
Standard Win32 Desktop Applications have an incredibly rich automation/accessibility API; this is what programs like DNS use to interact with applications.

For their new Application style- the Modern Apps, UWP Apps, etc (things like Settings, Photos, Groove, Edge, etc) cannot be accessed with that API; the access is limited to basically directing input to the Window blindly and hoping it works out.

So it would seem, Microsoft neglected to create an accessibility API for UWP. Well, no- see they exclusively designed the Accessibility API to only be usable by Cortana. The interfaces and capabilities implemented by the new App style to add accessibility features is done by adding Cortana integration.

Whether they decide to allow alternative software to Cortana I haven't a clue.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »
... For their new Application style- the Modern Apps, UWP Apps, etc (things like Settings, Photos, Groove, Edge, etc) cannot be accessed with that API; the access is limited to basically directing input to the Window blindly and hoping it works out.
... Whether they decide to allow alternative software to Cortana I haven't a clue.
Thanks k for the info. So, is there any way lo force Windows 10 to dump Cortana and ruin a windows 7 compatibility mode for Dragon?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
Thanks k for the info. So, is there any way lo force Windows 10 to dump Cortana and ruin a windows 7 compatibility mode for Dragon?
Did you mean to use the word "ruin" in that sentence?   ???

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »
Yes "run" not "ruin". However, that would also be a question.  ::)

delbarto

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
    Hi, long-term DNS user myself, I think I started on Dragon when it was still called DragonDictate Classic Edition V2.9 I think it was, so I have been with it through many many versions, and many operating systems and now I am facing the Windows 10 problem

So this is what I know, the last fully functioning version of DNS and Windows 10 is actually DNS V10 , and it's what I'm currently using, but there's a catch, I am using the early build of Windows 10 V1511 and I am limited to this build unable to do any of the updates to the anniversary edition or the creators edition because that's when things go wrong, and I have thoroughly tested this

First of all when I got when I was 10, I tried both version 11, and 12, and neither worked, satisfactorily, when trying to correct words it would always highlight one space to the left, see the following example

When trying to dictate "the fox is red" let's say DNS would type "the box is red" incorrectly, so I would say the command "correct box" expecting it to highlight the incorrect word box, instead it looked like this "the_box is red" the _bo being highlighted or selected, leaving the x unselected, so when you correct the word to Fox it would display like this "thefoxx is red" removing the space before and now displaying 2 x's

so I returned to DNS V10...

Then came out the Windows 10 anniversary date, and I thought I would try again, so I updated and installed Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 which boasted all of the compatibilities, they were wrong, it was the exact same problem and worse, now they were expecting me to almost completely dictate into the dictation box for every single application instead of directly into what I wanted to use, and using the transfer button which essentially copied and pasted from the dictation box, now this is a nightmare if you want to dictate things quickly, because it has no text options, you cannot adjust font size, okay yes it would dictate with accuracy, but then you would have to completely edit everything, and then if you had overlooked any mistakes, you could no longer correct, at least by voice because you are outside of the dictation box now experiencing the problem with selecting explained above!

So I uninstalled DNS 13, rolled back windows to the previous build, and reinstalled Dragon naturally speaking 10, and everything was smooth for almost a year until...

Windows 10 Creators Update!
    So i'm feeling adventurous again, thinking maybe they have fixed it, I install the creators update, and get hold of the latest version, rebranded Dragon 14 (no longer NaturallySpeaking)
    and encountered the exact same problems, nothing is fixed, it had great features, I was excited to use it, but was immediately met with frustration, limited to the dictation box, unable to dictate directly into applications, had to install plug-ins to my Firefox and Chrome browsers in order for it to work with them, it was awful and incredibly restricted because of this

Basically it felt like you could now only use Dragon either in the notepad, DragonPad, or Microsoft Word wordprocessors and everything outside of this had to be dictated through the dictation box

So now I am back on the previous build v1511 using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10, and having to fight almost a daily attempt by my operating system to upgrade to Windows creators edition unable to omit this upgrade seemingly like in previous versions of Windows when we could go into the control panel and manage the updates more ourselves when encountering problems pushing me into trying to find hacks on websites and forums such as this to block these updates, but still receive security updates, which so far has been a challenge

And why all of this headache? Because I am a quadriplegic paralysed from the chest down and kind of dependent on Dragon NaturallySpeaking for typing...
    I am now beginning to research the "unsupported" dates of both windows 7 and 8.1 considering a complete change in operating system to a previous version of Windows!

Hopefully this is helpful to other people!

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
    delbarto,
    Welcome to the forum.  :)
    -----------------------------
    This dictation is being done in Dragon and inside of Windows 7 64-bit.
    Apparently my version of Dragon naturally speaking (version 11)  works good in Windows 7. However, there is a very serious problem. I activated this product using my windows XP operating system. I have also installed windows seven 64-bit on this same computer. Both operating systems are legitimate.
    Now here's the problem. Apparently Dragon cannot figure it out that I have to operating systems on one computer and is asking me to buy another license so I can have the Dragon installed on two computers. But I'm not using it on two computers nor can I use two instances of it at the same time. I have only one mouth and I am not double tongued.  :P

My handicap is much, much less that your handicap. I lost sight of one eyeball  and am not able to read normally. I have to wear glasses and being a foot away from the screen in order to read clearly. It is not that my eye is out of focus, it's just that the central part of the inter eye is not able to recognize objects correctly. It comes from a childhood problem I had that was not a problem until I lost the sight of my once good retina of the right eye.

Anyway, after a bit it finally let me go ahead and start dictating using Windows 7. I suppose in a few days and all night me again about buying a license for this version of the Dragon. I'm not even going to try to install it on Windows 10. It works good enough on Windows 7, so I'll just boot up Windows 7 whenever I want to use the Dragon.

And yes, I have to use the DragonPad. Trying to use other software becomes very difficult. So I use the DragonPad and save it in the RTF style. When posting on computer Hope I do not try to use the Dragon inside of the text box on the computer Hope website.

I certainly admire your patience and endurance to deal with your handicap. I understand what it means to become discouraged and feel like just giving up on everything. And then after thinking about it for a while, I realize I have nothing to complain about all. Other people have things much worse than I do.
    Here on computer Hope there are some really nice people that will help you out. I still come back here even though sometimes I annoy other people and they get irritated with me for my ranting and carrying on about things that should not be an issue. Well, when a person is very frustrated, even little things become an issue.
    Please come back here to the computer Hope form anytime you feel like it and say anything you want about anything.

Now here's a comment about the possible future Windows 10. The future Windows 10 is very uncertain. At some point in time Microsoft is going to have to come to a fork in the road. In fact, they already have. It's not possible to have one version of Windows 10 that will satisfy everybody. Some features  necessary in an enterprise are not needed at all in a home environment. And some of the security updates that Microsoft has made have been catastrophic.

Hundreds of users have complained they have lost the usability or functionality of their computer because of a Windows 10 update. This means that professional users must turn off the automatic updates altogether and then manually do the updates over the weekend after making a backup of the entire system. I am not exaggerating. Talk to some people that work in the big companies.

For now  Microsoft will in support for Windows 7 and soon stop. . However, that is not a good enough reason to stop using Windows 7. It will continue to be the preferred operating system for many people for a long time to come.
    I recomend you use Windows  7.
    Now is the time for me to stop talking.   :)

Come back again.

EDIT:  Some statements have been made to the effedt that Dragon now works with Windows 10 correctly. But before you try it, ceck with the nuance web site and see what they now say.
    http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/Custom/pbPage.resp-dragon-naturallyspeaking-home-13
    IMO the user should not have to buy a new version to fix what shouldlnly be a mere compatibiluty issue.  Put another way, it is a problem with Nuance, not Microosft. Nuance might just undergo a huge change due to poor leadership. It is not a very new company. By now they ought to have a grip on what they do.
    But I will continue to use it anyway.  :)
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:10:23 PM by Geek-9pm »

mred

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
      Dragon Professional Individual (Dragon 15) works exceptionally well we Windows 10 and I have no problem with it either using Google Chrome.  I do agree we comments made about Nuances inability to support browsers properly needs to be continuously reloaded.  As for Microsoft Edge,  it is a complete disaster.  Initially, it was possible to type in search command by voice, but the programme seemed to hang.  Now, after recent very positive revisions to Microsoft Edge in terms of its functionality, it is almost impossible to input a search command as it goes in letter by letter and takes so long as to render the whole use of Microsoft Edge pointless so well done to Microsoft in improving their browser and please can Nuance spend more time in making what is a brilliant product for those of us who have difficulty typing or who are disabled work with mainstream browsers.  In particular, there have been so many improvements to Microsoft Edge and it seems inconceivable that Nuance would not attempt to ensure improved compatibility so that users can benefit even more.

I agree with previous users that compatibility is even more important than additional features.  Windows 10, its browser Microsoft Edge and the office suite are absolutely essential products for most users.  In addition other browsers such as Firefox and Google Chrome should also be fully supported and it should not be necessary to have to keep on continuously reloading extensions as is the case when using Google Chrome with Dragon.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
      Mred, Thank you.
      I agree.
      We need evolutionary products.
      Not revolutionary products.
      New software should adapt to the existing environment,  not destroy it with changes that make things fail.
      Microsoft will drop the edge thing.
      It does not have an edge. It is a dull tool.
      It is like getting a new butter knife and then being told you have to upgrade to a new version of Butter. You can not use Butter 1.0, you must get Butter 2.0 so that the new Microsoft Knife can cut  into the butter without sticking.  ::)

Mary

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
         :'(I just purchased Nuance 13 which supposedly works on Windows 7. See this url:http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16262/~/system-requirements-for-dragon-naturallyspeaking-13. It is a nice program, but have trouble connecting some times. Lately, it wants an extra 20 minutes to update its speech recognition. Note: I also was using textmaker software in place of word. Textmaker updates alot: then, the Nuance cannot connect to it. Disappointed as of now. But Nuance lists Windows 7 as compatible with 13. They are wiggling out of it now, saying it needs Windows 10. Here, I read 13 doesn't work with Windows 10, either. Maybe the problem is Nuance 13?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »
        Dragon works for me in Windos XP. The fersion I now have is version 11.

A long time ago Dragon Naturally Speaking was made to work with Word Perfect, which it did very well. The was my introduction to it.

In my case it is needed because of my oor vision makes typing very hard. I can not see what I type, so I have my face on the keybaord.

But with Drago, I can dictate about 100 wrods per minuete and it gets it right most of the time.

Yes, Drago is slow, and anything the takes more resorces makes thigsn even worse. So I will use Dragon Pad, a bare bones word processor taht has almost no features other tahtn font, and size and simple things like bold and italic. No spekk checkingm what ever you say goes on the page.

Please come back and update the thread if you f ind the Dns is working for you as good as it should.

This thread is one of the few taht tells it like it is. Nuance keeps advertising th ier product as good on Windows 10 when it fact they have been slow to fix the problem. So it you do find taht it is now working better, [plaes come here and tell others.

Lack of clear proof taht Nuance has control of the issue is not good news for users.

Myself, if a program runs better on Windosws 10, then I will use it on Windows 10. But if not, I go back to Windos XP or QWineos 7.

I did not do this on Dagon this time. I had to type it. Dragon takes some much time to load taht I just did nto want to wait for it.

So yu will find lots of spellingerrors::)

Really, it would be great if Nuance makes Dragon work as users want on Windows 10. It is much, much better taht cortana for dictation. Cortana is more about AI and less about speech regonition. Dfagon is very good are recognizile a wide range of accents and volaculaires.  Hopefully hey will improve the product.

If you search the web you will find taht there is little good news from Nuance. Maybe taht will change son.

The link beflow is, I believe, credible and a faitr critisizim of the Naum product. It has just been updated and so far there is to retort from Nuance.

This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own. Want to know more about ConsumerAffairs accredited brands? Check out ConsumerAffairs for Brands.

A real user:
        Original review: Nov. 7, 2017
        Just upgraded to Dragon Professional Personal 15. I am running latest upgrade of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. I did a fair amount of dictation, mainly into Word, Outlook, and played a bit with machine control and tried using "intelligent" commands. DNS accuracy is the best of any of their versions I have used (I have been using it since v2). Phenomenal. Unbelievable. And easy!. That's the good news. It does what it says it does better than any other product.

Notice he is using a high performace machine. Other equipment does not do so well. But good to know that thee are some happly users out there.

My recomendation  is that you have at hand a Windows 7 PC to try out the Drangon Naturally Speaking product. On Windos 10 it sucks on my old Dell 755.
         :-\

Araf nawr

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »
          Longtime Dragon user and now use Professional on annual subsciption.  I can vouch firsthand that the latest/greatest Dragon sucks on Win 10, so much so that I reverted back to Windows 8.1 Pro to avoid its death knell.  The problem for me is I write reports daily and while Dragon works great in the body of the report, it is less than a snail's pace when dictating into photo caption boxes.  I mean like a minute or two transcribing a six work sentence.  I'm not savvy enough to know how or why this happens but based on the web and this forum alone, doesn't seem promising without significant software changes. 

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
          Fortunately Windows 10 pro users can revert back to Windows 8.1 and resolve some issues. This is documented here and elsewhere.
          Thank you for your post. We can hope Microsoft or Nuance with  fix  their respective products so they can work together in the future. To date, there is no goodnews about this issue.

This thread was started « on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:31 AM »
          In about  six months i twill be two years.

Here is an article  about why  some prefer Windows 8.1 and it was published last month.
          https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/operating-systems-software/windows-8-vs-windows-10-3595035/
          What is of interest  are the user comments. Like this one:
          WIN 10 is the WORST OS due to the fact some of the games can not be displayed correctly, another thing is this OS gives us a very confusing start menu , last bust not least it often makes PC frozen for no reason , so i believe there MUST BE SOMETHING WRONG with WIN 10 and no wonder MICROSOFT intends to give this OS free of charge to us so i think we should just choose the previous OS like win 8, 7 or even XP because they are more friendly and easy to use.
          Notice this unhappy user says "often makes PC frozen for no reason". He is not alone,other users have made similar remarks about performance and stability.
          Another:
          I'm thinking of reverting all my computers back to 8.1. I've been using 10 since day one and it has been so invasive and such a terrible design, that I'm losing my patience with it. The biggest problem is not having any control over updates. All the 'comparisons' made in this article are differences I don't want, need or wish for.
          My two Windows 10 PCs both had major updates this past week. Maybe I will try Dragon again just to see if the problem was fixed.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »
          User comments from the technically inept aren't very insightful about the state of a new Operating System. You could find almost identical comments/posts back when Windows XP was released, and why people were sticking with Windows 98.

Incompatibilities between software somebody uses (such as DHS) and the new OS release is plenty reason to stick with an older version, and is certainly reasonable. Generalized "it sux and crashes and I no like it wah" posts aren't.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
          Nuance is selling new version of its DNS that  run better on Windows 8.1 than on Windows 10. The newest version is Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking 15.
          From an advertisement:
          RAM: Minimum 4GB
          CPU: Intel® dual core or equivalent AMD processor. Faster processors yield faster performance.
          Free hard disk space: 8GB
          Supported operating systems: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 (32- and 64-bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2012 R2
          Internet Explorer 11 or higher or the current version of Chrome for Online Help
          A sound card supporting 16-bit recording
          Built-in microphone or a Nuance-approved microphone—see support.nuance.com/compatibility for more information
          An Internet connection for product download and automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process)
          Note: Does not support dictation into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems. For EMR support, please use Dragon Medical Practice Edition.
          They claim it runs on Windows 10. Nuance has never given a clear answer to customer complaints about Windows 10 issues. Not just DNS, but the other products do not work well with Windows 10 according to users.
          Here are reviews from Amazon:
          https://www.amazon.com/Nuance-Dragon-NaturallySpeaking-Premium-English/product-reviews/B00LX4BYV6
          https://www.amazon.com/Nuance-Communications-Inc-M109A-G00-8-0-Professional/product-reviews/B0084PK8CS
          Thee is a lot more about the troubles the company has. It would seem that a great product has been harmed by the company that owns it. They should have made Windows 10 compatibility a major objective.  Instead, they spend money on advertising and lawyers to defend themselves from dubious bossiness pitfalls.
          Like this:
          http://tpr.org/post/remote-workers-vulnerable-disputes-company-say-employees
          On Friday, June 30th, Kathleen Keane was on her way to a concert with her son in the small town of Winnfield, Louisiana when she started getting texts from her manager, which she says never happens.
          Keane works remotely for Nuance Transcription Services, one of the top three largest companies in the field. According to their website, Nuance employs 12,000 medical transcriptionists and it's Nuance voice recognition and transcription products are in 10,000 U.S. hospitals. Those products had been crippled by the New Petya cyber attack on June 27.
          Is this the same company? Yes!
          For its part, Nuance has not responded to multiple voice messages from TPR on this story.  It is unclear how many people were working under the impression they would qualify for these incentives. Nuance is a Fortune 1000 company.
          Affected transcriptionists in multiple states TPR has interviewed say they are exploring filing wage and labor complaints.

The issues with Windows 10 were first reported just when Windows 10 was released. To date Nuance has not made any real  improvements  to the compatibly issue. Apparently. The work-grounds only  what individuals have discovered.
          Link:
          https://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/runtime-errors/nuance-communications-inc/dragon-naturallyspeaking/2-dragon-naturallyspeaking-error-code-2/
          Yest you can not find t his information on the Nuance support. Which could mean the link above is wrong, or else Nuance just ignores the complaints.
          I did post this link below earlier. Here is is again.

Notice is says "Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017" That was just last month. They still give a very bad review of the product.
          This company is not yet accredited. To learn more, see reviews below or submit your own.  ...
          Well, maybe the  consumer affairs is just a small group of people that like to complain.
          Here is a unhappy user:
          Original review: Dec. 11, 2017
          I've been using PaperPort 14.5 for years and although there were problems occasionally I was not prepared for the massive issues when upgrading to Windows 10. The 10 upgrade removed PaperPort from my computers. Nuance Support was not very helpful simply me to "kindly reinstall the software." Unfortunately the extra cost of the disk and extended support (rip off) since the initial support only lasts 90 days. I often never receive the hard cd for installation. The extended download electronically usually works once and they want you to spend another $7.99 for another not to mention the constant harassing of their telemarketers.
          Of course, his complaint was about another product.
          EDIT: Some users aver very happy with DNS on Windows 10.
          Original review: Nov. 7, 2017
          Just upgraded to Dragon Professional Personal 15. I am running latest upgrade of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. I did a fair amount of dictation, mainly into Word, Outlook, and played a bit with machine control and tried using "intelligent" commands. DNS accuracy is the best of any of their versions I have used (I have been using it since v2). Phenomenal. Unbelievable. And easy!. That's the good news. It does what it says it does better than any other product.
          As for me, I will continue to use Dragon Naturally Speaking. And I will try it again with Windows 10.  If it works good now, I will let you know.   8)
          I use version 11 on Windows XP SP3 and it works good if I  have no other things running in the background.  :D
          « Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:35:58 PM by Geek-9pm »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
          With all that posted BC is still correct...
          It's up to Software Developers to keep up with OS releases...not the other way around...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
          You seem to be intimating that accreditation means something. An "Accredited" company on the Consumer Affairs website is a company that subscribes and pays their monthly subscription fee. Without being "accredited"- which has no additional requirements beyond giving them money- companies cannot respond to alleged consumer testimonies.

Consumer Affairs sounds official, but like the Better Business Bureau they are nothing more than a racket posing as some sort of authority.

Apple Store isn't accredited. It's not a company, either, but it's not accredited. Neither is Apple iPhone But at least that "company" has positive reviews. Even more positive than what I can only guess is it's sister non-existent company, Apple iMac.

Despite this, Apple Computer isn't even listed.

Consumer Affairs, like the Better Business Bureau,  target small businesses. They either wait for legitimate customers to provide reviews or make them up and then contact the company about how great they are and how buying their subscription service would totally boost their publicity. if the company declines, they start rejecting positive reviews and let their score plummet with the negatives, and without paying the subscription fee the companies cannot respond to or dispute anything in the reviews. And, let's be realistic here- do you think people tend to post to that sort of site when they are happy with the product anyway? usually it's immediately after dealing with some frustrating aspect of the software while largely blinded by impotent rage.

I mean, jeez- one of the one star reviews is a guy who bought a product the same day that OS X Yosemite was released and was pissed that it wasn't compatible. What did he expect? Magic? It was never claimed to be compatible, and he was the one who upgraded his system anyway. I can see why he would be annoyed or pissed off but that annoyance and anger should be directed at the assumptions he made.

Is this the same company? Yes!
          Nuance Communications is not the same company as Nuance Transcription Services. The former owns the latter.

jdale71961

• Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »
            I have DNS version 11 Basic...I just installed it to my HP laptop with Win 10 with no problems

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
            I have DNS version 11 Basic...I just installed it to my HP laptop with Win 10 with no problems
            Jack, thanks for sharing.
            Please provide some more detail.
             Which HP machine do you have.
            What version of Windows 10.
            Were there anything unusual steps in the installation?
            That will help round out this thread and help others who come here.  :)