Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloning hard drive using macrium  (Read 4256 times)

IPDO

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Cloning hard drive using macrium
« on: July 30, 2016, 06:13:21 AM »
Hi, I wanted to clone my internal hard drive which was infected, of my laptop to an external hard drive using macrium software with the help of a tutorial from YouTube and all went good. But while booting the external hard drive it shows up blue screen .

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cloning hard drive using macrium
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
What message and error condition is in the blue screen? 
Did you create the Macrium recovery bootable disc as well?
Additionally its best to boot the cloned drive internally vs externally. I have run into problems before with trying to boot cloned drives that were cloned from an internal drive externally. Also if this external drive is connected to a different computer and attempting to boot you will also run into problems, but I'm assuming its the same computer used to create image is also being used to boot.

I wanted to clone my internal hard drive which was infected, of my laptop to an external hard drive using macrium software
*Question I have also is... did you just clone a drive that was infected or are you trying to clone a clean copy of the system overtop of an infected drive? To me cloning an infected drive is an odd thing to do because why would you want 2 drives with the same infection so maybe I am reading your help request wrong.

Also if you need help with malware/virus removal this can be redirected to the virus help section.

IPDO

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
Error message was "Inaccessible_boot_device".
No, I have not created macrium recovery bootable disk.
I am trying to clone the total system, sorry here infection in the sense it was attacked by a malware that encrypted all my files and malware has been removed. And only encrypted files remains that I need to take it into external hard drive.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
... But while booting the external hard drive it shows up blue screen .
You can't boot from the external hard drive.  It is an "Inaccessible_boot_device".
You have to create recovery media, USB flash drive or CD/DVD & then restore the image saved to the external hard drive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
My only question is why you would wanna clone an infected drive ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "