Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not able to access programmes from all programmes on start menu  (Read 3904 times)

WorldsEnd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    In recent months, I've been trying to understand why my start menu isn't accessing certain programmes. When I try to access something like the calculator, it doesn't show the appropriate icon (just a tiny blank page) and nothing happens when I click on said icon.

This has affected other items, like Notepad, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, et cetera. These programmes work fine if I can link to them otherwise (desktop, pinned to start menu, calculator button on number pad), but it's kind of irksome to not have convenient access as designed. Would anyone have any idea why? What I can do to mend this condition?

My computer is an ASUS G74SX BBK-7 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed. The only major changes I've made to this machine was install Samsung Magician, which was necessary to manage an SSD I purchased to replace my old C drive. After a clean install on the SSD, everything was fine at first.

plodr

Beginner

Re: Not able to access programmes from all programmes on start menu
      « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
      The Program Lisings is actually a series of shortcuts to the programs. For some unknown reason, some of your shortcuts have gotten corrupted.

Go to the incorrect calculator icon and right click it. Select properties.
      In the target field it should display this
      Code: [Select]
      %windir%\system32\calc.exe
      I think yours is probably not pointing where it should. Copy what is in the code box and replace your target with the correct one. Hopefully, the icon will change to the correct one.

If that works, I'll go through the other items and post the correct targets.

If the icons are still incorrect, we can run something that will rebuild the icon cache.

WorldsEnd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 05:30:28 AM »
        I went to properties and saw nothing in the target field.

I attempted to input your recommended target parameter, however, that portion of the calculator properties screen will not allow me to type or paste anything.

I've also tried sending the short-cut to the desktop to edit, but I'm locked out all the same.

plodr

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
          It sure sounds like Windows is broken.
          Run system file checker.
          Here's how
          http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista
          Can you get to the Command prompt in Accessories, right click it and select Run as Administrator?
          If so. after the command prompt windows opens, type sfc /scannow

WorldsEnd

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
            I did run system file checker before whilst attempting to resolve my previous issue with Windows backup and restore. It stated there were some corrupted files, yet it had successfully fixed them.

I ran the command prompt in Administrator mode just now to make sure, and it prints "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."