Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux is still better than Windows.  (Read 76536 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Linux is still better than Windows.
« on: August 16, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
Full title is:
Why Linux is still better than Windows 10

The article was published January this year. Windows still lacks things  things found in other operating systems. The most common complaint about Windows is how hard it is to adjust almost anything other that the superficial things.

With Windows 10  you have to get apps for the apps store just to do things that should be built-in.

Some say that windows was better before Windows 10. Older versions of Windows had easy to use tools. With Linux you do not have to use the newest version to get support. Some versions have long therm support as an objective.

And, I am no longer a Linux  rebel. But I was some years ago. But this post is  not about my personal OS habits.  My point here is to ask you if you think Linux is better that Windows.

By the way --- You can have Linux and Windows at the same time. No, not in a dual boot. At the same time. Enjoy the best of both worlds. Microsoft now putting Linux into windows.  :o
See here:
Linux comes to Windows -- and 5 other big things Microsoft announced

So, do  you agree? Is Linux still better?  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:03:48 PM by Geek-9pm »

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Linux is still better than Windows.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:08:38 AM »
Full time Linux user here.  Articles like that are worthless, comments taken from Reddit are hardly a credible source.  All articles like that do is reinforce the stereotype that all Linux users are fanboys who believe that Linux is some sort of holy grail.  For some users (myself included) Linux works better than windows but for the average user, windows is still the better option due to application availability and the amount of support available for it.  For example, MS Office doesn't work on Linux so you are stuck with libreoffice which I find unbearable for any large piece of work, I end up having to use a Windows 10 VM so I can run proper MS office.

tashimee

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 12:17:49 PM »
 :D I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and Win XP in a dual boot system. The only reason that I haven't stop using Windows altogether is because there are things that I can't use in linux. Call me crazy but I have four hard disks, why not have more than one operating system?

TheWaffle

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:07:55 PM »
I am the opposite.  I run Windows 10 because I always mess up my linux installs, and have a hard time fixing them. I run linux inside hyper-v on physical disks.  I really like how easy it is to set up compared to virtualbox.  I prefer to run debian, but I am learning to use arch and gentoo to learn more how linux works.  I think my next step will be to learn how to write drivers for linux or possible do a linux from scratch. (I'm talking in the next few years maybe).

aokis

Greenhorn

• The dreamer who dreams..
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »
Well linux is really so easy and just ooooouuh good :) although there is many necessary programs that can be used only in windows, that's kind'a sad...

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
Because I am a gamer, Linux has yet to replace Windows.

However I do run Linux Mint on multiple systems that I dont use for gaming mainly because I dont want to buy another copy of Windows when I already have Windows 10 on 2 computers, Windows 7 on 5 systems, Vista on 1 system, and Windows XP on 2 others, and the rest are Linux Mint of the 16 computers I have.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:52:15 PM »
True confessions. I only use Linux when something goes songwriting my Windows system.
In fact, the image restore program I use is a program that runs inside of Linux during a full restore. It is called Macrium Reflect.
Macrium Reflect is free.   http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

booxm

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 04:15:18 AM »
If you don't have any particular programs you can't install on linux (like games, cad software, photoshop or professional video editing softwares), I can't really see why not using Linux...

Ease of use? Some distros of Linux ARE easy, people find them difficult just because it's not what they're used to, but it doesn't take much to re-learn a couple of basics.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:11:03 AM »
As far as Linux goes. I actually enjoy Linux for most environments. But the biggest headaches are trying to get software to work with it that isnt intended / isnt ported for Linux as well as say a laptop in which there is no sound driver available for the on board audio and going through generic drivers is like trying to find a needle in a haystack or even worse.

I have tried to help people switch from Windows to Linux before as well such as this one guy bought a laptop in Thailand at what he thought was a really good deal. He brought it back to the united states and it soon started warning him that his installation of Windows appears to be counterfeit. He contacted me for help. I told him that he needs to buy Windows 7 for his laptop if he wants to have Windows 7. Told him I will not do anything illegal. He didnt want to spend any money and so I said your alternative is installing Linux. I showed him Linux Mint version 13 running on my one laptop and he said ok i will go with that. So I installed Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit to his laptop and for the most part everything worked. Thought he was good to go. But then his bluetooth devices didnt want to play with his laptop and his lexmark printer at home didnt have a suitable Linux driver for it. He was in a situation where its either buy Windows 7 or buy a new printer that supported Linux Mint 13 for driver support. He ended up working out a deal with his brother to swap printers and the HP printer he got had a generic driver that worked with it. Last i know he is on 17.3 now and he has finally gotten use to it, but never ending questions at times. So sometimes I wish he went with buying Windows 7 for it to not have the headaches of Linux with someone with very little computer knowledge and strictly user access of Linux without the ability to self admin his own system to maintain it.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:17:23 AM »
I've used various distributions of Linux over the years but have never felt compelled to make it my full-time OS.  Windows does all I need and I don't have issues with upgrades, updates, viruses, etc... that many other people seem to encounter.  Windows just works for me.  Currently, the biggest use I have for Linux is when working with my Raspberry Pi computers (currently own 4).  The Raspberry Pi runs the Raspbian distribution of Linux although there are other OSes that have been ported to the Pi (not Windows unless you count Windows IoT).

CrewRite

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
    Android for mobile is the only linux OS, I find useful.

I found Linux Mint glitchy and confusing.  Had to reach out to their chatroom several times to figure things out.

Found out running Wine to get Windows apps working is a bad idea.  I had problems getting virtualization working too.

Linux for PCs is not what I call user friendly and if you have Windows only apps, you'll end up needing Windows.  Ironically, some call us Windows fanboys.

But, than again some apps require Android, go figure.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
    The link below is now 3 or 4 years old. Still, the points made are now even more relevant. First of all, the desktop is changing and will all but disappear. In the future a keyboard will be a vestigial organ. Monitors will not be monitors.  You will either wear a head set or stare at a wall or look at your Linux-powered  smartphone.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2611057/linux/the-future-of-linux--evolving-everywhere.html
    f there's one adjective that sums up a significant source of Linux's power, it's "malleable." Linux is raw material that can be cut, stitched, and tailored to fit most any number of scenarios, from tiny embedded devices to massively parallel supercomputers.
    The article goes on to say:
    Nobody takes very seriously the idea that Linux is about to be wiped off the map by a rogue patent threat or lawsuit. One of the biggest such legal attacks, SCO Group's lawsuit against IBM, widely construed as a proxy attack on Linux, failed miserably.
    It is more likely that the winds of change will cause Windows  to crash and burn.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:57 PM »
    In the future a keyboard will be a vestigial organ. Monitors will not be monitors.  You will either wear a head set or stare at a wall or look at your Linux-powered smartphone.

As you already know, I disagree with this assessment. Interestingly that very similar statements can be found going back to the 80's. I seem to remember some people expressing similar viewpoints in episodes of "The Computer Chronicles" for example dating back to the 80's and 90's.

However while the technologies proposed to replace our standard input devices- speech to text and text to speech for example- have become valuable- you use dictation software, for example, and people who are blind use text to speech to "see" their screens- I don't see  them being used to replace the keyboard for a typical user anytime soon, just a value-add for certain users individual needs.

I mean, let's think critically here- these sorts of devices and features all have a certain inexact quality- dictation software misunderstands you, and text to speech mispronounces or misreads text or reads text incorrectly; features like motion control- intended to replace the typical gaming interface of a Game Controller- has it's own issues as well. It seems that the more "intuitive" an interface is supposed to be, the more can go wrong.

What makes keyboards so everlasting (and game controllers for many games I suppose) is that they enforce something that people generally expect when using computers- that "To err is human". With other interfaces intended to be more "intuitive", gestures can be misinterpreted, speech misunderstood or misinterpreted, text mispronounced, etc. But it is humans which make typos when using keyboards (or game controllers).

That isn't to say it is impossible, I just don't see it as very likely; I mean, as it is, we haven't even really gotten toasters down. They seem to either deliver slightly warm bread, or pre-fired charcoal.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
    I mean, as it is, we haven't even really gotten toasters down. They seem to either deliver slightly warm bread, or pre-fired charcoal.

USB TOASTER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz3u8IsHCB8

davidabauer

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 08:37:28 AM »
      Linux is Unix, the Internet is Unix, not bad, huh?????? I tried to do something on Windows that the Internet didn't like, worked fine on my Linux computer