Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Migrating a UEFI GPT Windows 8 physical machine partition to a VirtualBox VM  (Read 6457 times)

Techy

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi,

I'm attempting to create a VirtualBox machine of my physical laptop which is running Windows 8.1. I've created a separate partition where I installed Windows 10 so I can dual boot.

I've been following these instructions:
    http://joaodrp.com/blog/2016/03/19/migrating-a-uefi-gpt-windows-8-10-machine-to-a-virtualbox-vm/

In VirtualBox, I have sucessfully gotten the VHD file attached to the virtual system and I used an DVD ISO Installation of 8.1 and booted into the advanced recovery area where I can use the command prompt to make changes to the vhd. The command prompt should allow me to rebuild the mbr record which is outlined in the instructions. One of the issues is that this Laptop's physical drive's recovery partition was deleted. I've thought about creating a new one but I'm not sure if I need to or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

COMPUTER SPECS:

Operating System
       Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

CPU
       Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz
       Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM
       8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
       Hewlett-Packard 181C (U3E1)

Graphics
       Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
       Intel HD Graphics 4000 (HP)

Storage
       698GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD075 (SATA)   45 °C
       931GB PHD 3.0 Silicon-Power USB Device (USB (SATA))   45 °C
       931GB Seagate USB 3.0 Cable USB Device (USB (SATA))   45 °C
       698GB Microsoft Virtual Disk (File-backed Virtual)

Optical Drives
       hp DVD A DS8A8SH

Audio
       High Definition Audio Device