Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 32 GB of ram, only 16 is read by bios, windows and ubuntu  (Read 3668 times)

s903s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    32 GB of ram, only 16 is read by bios, windows and ubuntu
    « on: September 16, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
    Hi everyone, I have an issue since some years that I have never succeeded to understand on what it depends I have a computer assembled by me with these features:
    Processor: Intel i73770
    Motherboard: asus P8z77-v deluxe
    Ram: 32 GB, corsair CMz32GX3M4X1866C10
    GPU: Gainward geforce 680
    When I have assembled this pc for some months both windows and ubuntu they was reading 32 GB of ram fully. After some months suddenly it reads 16 GB of ram, from bios also if the rams are 1866 mhz I can take them only maximum to 1600 mhz. I can't understand why I have this issue and how to solve it. I attach to this conversation some screen of cpuz and windows properties.
    Thank you for helping

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 32 GB of ram, only 16 is read by bios, windows and ubuntu
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:09:49 AM »
    So CPU-Z shows all ( 4 ) 8GB sticks installed and initialized, an Ubuntu system properties only shows 16GB. That looks like a bug maybe in Ubuntu as for if the other 16GB wasnt getting addressed then CPU-Z wouldnt detect them. This is the first I have heard of this. Unfortunately I only have a server with 16GB RAM and none higher to test my hardware against greater than 16GB to see if its a bug that repeats if I installed your version of Ubuntu.

Could you have 16GB of RAM shared elsewhere such as 16GB system RAM shared with the GPU or a RAM Drive, the OS might only be showing whats available to it if its allocated elsewhere?

Have you run Memtest86 on the RAM to make sure that all is healthy?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 06:26:05 AM »
    Sounds like CPUz isn't detecting the multiplier...

How does Speccy report it ? ?...or System Info for Windows ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

s903s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:41 AM »
      So CPU-Z shows all ( 4 ) 8GB sticks installed and initialized, an Ubuntu system properties only shows 16GB. That looks like a bug maybe in Ubuntu as for if the other 16GB wasnt getting addressed then CPU-Z wouldnt detect them. This is the first I have heard of this. Unfortunately I only have a server with 16GB RAM and none higher to test my hardware against greater than 16GB to see if its a bug that repeats if I installed your version of Ubuntu.

Could you have 16GB of RAM shared elsewhere such as 16GB system RAM shared with the GPU or a RAM Drive, the OS might only be showing whats available to it if its allocated elsewhere?

Have you run Memtest86 on the RAM to make sure that all is healthy?
      Also on windows and other oses gives the same issue, windows for example says to use only two slots of 4, I have tried memtest86 pro, memtest86+ and windows memtest I think the ram is healthly cause I have tried to put it on another pc too

Sounds like CPUz isn't detecting the multiplier...

How does Speccy report it ? ?...or System Info for Windows ? ?
      Speccy reports 32 GB of ram and 4 slots installed I attach here the speccy report

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
      Then if Speccy reports it properly you are fine...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

s903s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »
        Then if Speccy reports it properly you are fine...
        No cause I can't use that ram to create a virtual machine cause for example windows doesn't detect it and windows says that it uses only 2 of four slots :

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
        First thing to try is to boot with each stick of RAM individually, to make sure all 4 sticks are working.  Add them back in, one at a time, in the correct slots, and see what happens.  If you now have 32GB, problem solved.  If not, Take out your CPU and check very carefully for bent pins.  If the socket all looks OK, reseat the CPU, and check how much RAM shows up now.  If you have an aftermarket heatsink, make sure you're not tightening it too far, that can cause this issue as well.

After you've tried the above, post back and let us know the results.  Hope this helps :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »
        Add them back in, one at a time, in the correct slots, and see what happens.
        You MUST do this with the AC power lead disconnected from the PSU! When removing or inserting RAM sticks. Otherwise you can kill RAM or motherboard or both.

s903s

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:52:15 AM »
          I have resolved flashing ME